Losing Game 7

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which way is better to lose a game 7?

Capital style .. never really in it
73%
Leaf style .. choke on a big lead
27%

Total votes: 11
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Which is worse : Leafs blowing a 3 goal lead or the NDP blowing a 20 percentage point lead ?
Anyone who imagined those polls were realistic has been doing way too much BC Bud. The NDP had a chance to maybe eke out a 3-4 pct victory if they'd ignored the polls and actually tried campaigning, but the support wasn't there. Their best friends were the BC Conservatives, and when they tanked the anti-NDP vote coalesced around the BC Liberals once again.
I think the pollsters were actually in the ballpark with their predictions, the worrisome issue should be the (lack of) voter turnout. Fact is, the majority of eligible voters saw the two candidates as copies of one another: untrustworthy snakes that will sneak in surprises when they get elected to office. So they stayed home.

Any credible candidate would/should have used the pre-election story of Christy running the red-light to absolutely end her political aspirations. Adrian, due to his dismissal from the position as Glen Clark's Chief-of-Staff, had no credibility/moral ground to stand upon.

The NDP needs to take the next 2+ years to find some new blood with some fresh ideas which will inspire/motivate the 55% that did not vote, their version of the 2008 Barack Obama if you will. So do the Liberals.
Well the "new blood" is one thing that struck me. The NDP elected David Eby, but who else? O'Mahony and Trasolini, who had won big in by-elections, tanked in the real thing. Dick Cannings was a high profile candidate, though without political experience, who had an uphill battle but nearly pulled it off in Penticton against a popular mayor. But there seemed to be a pretty thin field after that. The Liberals brought in Andrew Wilkinson, Sam Sullivan, Susan Anton, Peter Fassbender, Dan Ashton, and a few others with municipal experience. I (or you) may not like them, but they brought experience and name recognition to their team. The NDP's recruiting didn't measure up.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Getting away from the political chat and back to the original topic...

The Leafs fan who posted this video of him and friends watching the game 7 collapse was pretty courageous. Would a fan of any other team post something like this under similar circumstances? I think I probably would have burned the tape instead.

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Could have, should have and would have but they choked ....
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Could have, should have and would have but they choked ....
yeah, but its not like they never did it before.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Could have, should have and would have but they choked ....
yeah, but its not like they never did it before.
Actually, from what I heard, that was the first time anyone — not just the Leafs — blew a three-goal lead that late in game 7 of any Stanley Cup playoff series, so yeah, it just so happens that it IS like they never did it before, because they haven't. Not on this large a scale.

http://metronews.ca/features/toronto-ma ... -overtime/
The Bruins are the first team in NHL history to win a Game 7 after trailing by three goals in the third period, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
In fact, according to another source, even if you widen the parameters and consider blowing a three goal lead from any point of a playoff game 7, a meltdown of such description has only happened just three other times before this in the entire history of the NHL.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

leafs blew a 3 goal lead with just under 6 minutes to go against the flyers in a 70's playoffs. wasnt a game 7 though
Last edited by KnowItAll on Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe Messrs. Nonis and Burke should have traded for Luongo :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Maybe Messrs. Nonis and Burke should have traded for Luongo :wink:
I think they're working for diff teams now — are you suggesting some sort of a timeshare arrangement? :P

But srsly, whether by design or whatever, the Leafs were right not to take him on with that prohibitive contract. Rather see Reimer develop, in kind of a Buono-esque manner.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Maybe Messrs. Nonis and Burke should have traded for Luongo :wink:
I think they're working for diff teams now — are you suggesting some sort of a timeshare arrangement? :P

But srsly, whether by design or whatever, the Leafs were right not to take him on with that prohibitive contract. Rather see Reimer develop, in kind of a Buono-esque manner.
I was referring when each was GM of the Leafs.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

So, the Sharks and Red Wings can be added to this years lost in game 7 list. Neither team got pounded into submission ala the Capitals by the Rangers. Neither team, IMO, choked on a late lead ala the MapleLeafs. IMO, the RedWings were lucky to even get it into overtime. I wasn't really watching the game,but it was on. Chicago scored late in the 3rd but the goal didn't count (due to a penalty, I think). I thought they had scored but next thing you know it was off to overtime and the Hawks won it there.

I think the Kings and Hawks would have been suffering a bit more. I know, I know, its the playoffs and they all start out equal. That being said, the Hawks had a great season and the Kings are the defending champs. The Sharks did better than I thought they would and so did the RedWings. A Kings/Hawks series sounds like a series to me. My guess is Quick gets it done and the Hawks are done in six....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I sure hate to be a Detroit fan right now blowing a 3-1 series lead.