2013 NHL thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After the protracted lockup, the NHL season is finally underway. Canucks getting hammered in their home opener. 6-2 after 2 periods.
Last edited by TheLionKing on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It was announced that it was a sellout. Maybe the fans left early. I can never understand why fans would leave early. Tickets to the Canucks are not cheap.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Are you sure they didn't mean the contract settlement? :twisted:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I predict that when the exhibition games are over, the canucks will be visiting losers in the first round.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I didn't see the game. I didn't miss much.

Feeling any pain? Nope ...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:It was announced that it was a sellout. Maybe the fans left early. I can never understand why fans would leave early. Tickets to the Canucks are not cheap.
Three periods of suck has a higher opportunity cost than two periods of suck.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:It was announced that it was a sellout. Maybe the fans left early. I can never understand why fans would leave early. Tickets to the Canucks are not cheap.
Three periods of suck has a higher opportunity cost than two periods of suck.
On the other hand, one might think that the sunk-cost phenomenon would kick in.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Luongo looked solid tonight til the Eberle last second goal.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Are the Green Men Sully & Force still doing the schtick? Wondering if they'd even be allowed to wear those outfits to games after the ape costume incident @BCP last season.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cory Schneider got his 1st shutout of the season blanking the Sharks 5-0 in their home opener. Revenge is sweet.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

revenge comes in playoffs
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canucks scores with 19 seconds left in overtime to beat Edmonton 3-2. Tanev with his 1st NHL goal and it was a beauty
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

did old Todd make the cut for another years easy money? did they ever settle all the lawsuits from the good old days?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:did old Todd make the cut for another years easy money? did they ever settle all the lawsuits from the good old days?
Lawsuit still not before the courts. I think it's going to cost Big Bert some big bucks.