I'll Have Another

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not normally a racing fan but this afternoon's performance by I'll Have Another to catch Bodemeister was impressive. Hope he wins the Triple Crown in 3 weeks,

http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=396363
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting, TLK.

I haven't followed horse racing for years.

But this horse is Canadian owned, and ridden by a jockey who spent a lot of time at Hastings Park.

Great races in the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness. :thup: :thup:

One more to go ... the Belmont Stakes. Go "I'll Have Another." :thup:

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/5/19/30313 ... her-winner

Very exciting Preakness. He came from a long way back. Wow.

Reminds me of Affirmed and Alydar.
cat_daddy
Rookie

It was a great performance, what a gutsy performance.
That 1 1/2 mile final is brutal.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Just watched the race again on this NBC tape.

Wow. What a great horse. Big heart. Wow. Bodemeister ran hard all the way. It looked like the lead was too great. But I'll Have Another just kept running, and he had more speed and power at the end. Great ride by Hastings Park's Mario Gutierrez. :thup:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47489251/ns/horse_racing/
"We wanted to be a little bit closer to Bodemeister this time because normally that horse runs a huge race," Gutierrez said. "My horse has a tremendous kick in the end. He has been proving that in the last three races. He didn't disappoint again today. He has proven a lot of people wrong. I just have to prepare because I want to be at the same level as him. He's an amazing horse."
Bosco
Team Captain

A boost to I'll Have Another's Triple Crown dream is that Bodemeister won't be running in the Belmont.

The crowd and atmosphere at Hastings on June 9 will be insane!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Agree WC Joe. What a race and what a horse! Seemed to have two or three gears down the stretch to reel in Bodemeister. Gutierrez's story is right out of Hollywood. I don't think I was that excited to watch a sporting event since a certain football game last November.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well it's been 34 years since a horse won the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing in 1978. Since then, there's been 11 horses that won both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes, but just came short in the 1.5 mile Belmont Stakes. Here's some video on 5 of them:

1998: Real Quiet - the closest finish ever but a photo finish showed he finished second by a nose
[video][/video]

2002: War Emblem
[video][/video]

2003: Funny Cide
[video][/video]

2004: Smarty Jones - likely the most hearbreaking. Ridden by Canadian-born Stewart Elliott, caught by 36-1 longshot Birdstone in last stretch.
[video][/video]

2008: Big Brown - the most disappointing by finishing dead last.
[video][/video]

Will those two counters be incremented yet again with I'll Have Another being the 34th year not winning Triple Crown and the 12th horse to come just short? I think most horse racing fans are hoping that the counters will be reset. :cr:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Won't be running in Saturday's Belmont Stakes due to a leg injury. Disappointing
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Won't be running in Saturday's Belmont Stakes due to a leg injury. Disappointing
No triple crown winner yet again this year. :bawl:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very disappointing that he won't run. But a good decision. In the past owners made the horse run, and it wasn't worth it.

Majestic Prince ran when he should not have run. And Canonero II was made to run when he should not have.

Both had won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness earlier, but were less than 100% for the Belmont Stakes.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Got himself quite a career to retire to now. Gets to spend years helping his owners make money by being put out to stud....

Personally sounds like this really lets a lot of air out of the excitement building in NY and Hastings Park. When I saw the story at first I thought it was a prank but nope. Glad his owners did the right thing....
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Who will be watching the Belmont Stakes tomorrow to see if California Chrome will capture the Triple Crown for the first time in 36 years?
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

California Chrome's attempt to become the 12th horse ever to win the Triple Crown ended in disappointment. Finished 5th
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:California Chrome's attempt to become the 12th horse ever to win the Triple Crown ended in disappointment. Finished 5th
I thought CCTV Channel 9 out of China reporting 4th - if I heard it correctly.

What is the China government trying to hide? Was there a horse called Tiananmen in the top 3?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:California Chrome's attempt to become the 12th horse ever to win the Triple Crown ended in disappointment. Finished 5th
I thought CCTV Channel 9 out of China reporting 4th - if I heard it correctly.

What is the China government trying to hide? Was there a horse called Tiananmen in the top 3?
My bad, California Chrome was tied for 4th