Canucks 2011 Playoff Run

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so, watching the show afterward, they talked about the punjabi community embracing the canucks and hockey, not only first gen canadians, but their parents and grand parents. It was sure great to see them get on board. Apparently the movement was started by two guys doing Punjabi Hockey Night in Canada. I was starting to feel jealous that the same isnt happening for the lions and cfl. I wonder if we can get these two guys on board, or someone like them.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

As expected, there was a friendly wager between the two mayors:

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino wagered:

* Fresh Boston lobsters
* A variety of locally-brewed Boston beers
* A small personal donation to Gregor's charity of choice
* To raise the flag of the Canucks on City Hall plaza for one day.

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson wagered:

* Wild British Columbia smoked salmon
* A variety of Vancouver-brewed beer
* A small personal donation from Mayor Robertson to a charitable organization of Menino’s choice
* To raise the Bruins flag in front of Vancouver’s city hall for one day.

-----------

Alex Burrows may play hockey like a strong man but fights like a little girl. Fortunately, he got away with it as the league will not suspend him.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Alex Burrows may play hockey like a strong man but fights like a little girl. Fortunately, he got away with it as the league will not suspend him.
certainly wasnt one of his finest moments.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I read a quote from the linesman breaking it up "you stuck your hand in his mouth what was he supposed to do?". I don't know if that is what was said but I think the glove in the face is just as wimpy. Drop the gloves or zip it. I hate all the pushing shoving, glove facewashs, snowshowers etc... Put up or shut up. If anyone ever sticks their hands in my mouth (other than my dentist) I'd do the same thing. I think theres a difference than the Tyson like chomp-down on Holyfields ear. If Burrows is so girly, why'd did he jump in to save the Captain? I really don't want to watch a Stanley Cup finals filled with apres whistle crap. But thats me. I'd rather just see real fights or better yet, HOCKEY.
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Robbie wrote:Alex Burrows may play hockey like a strong man but fights like a little girl. Fortunately, he got away with it as the league will not suspend him.
certainly wasnt one of his finest moments.

If you recall Alex is a pretty good fighter, but with his offensive progression he has to stay on the ice. That said, he can't find his way to the penalty box, like he did in game 1 on a regular basis as his worth is his skating ability.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Premier/Governor have made their own friendly wagers as well. B.C. Premier Christy Clark and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick have placed a friendly wager on the outcome of the Stanley Cup final between the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins. If Vancouver wins, Governor Patrick has agreed to wear a Canucks jersey and send a supply of Legal Sea Food clam chowder. If Boston is victorious, Premier Clark has pledged to wear a Bruins jersey and send Boston a selection of Nanaimo bars and B.C. smoked salmon. In both cases, the food will be donated to charity.

But right now, it looks like Governor Patrick has other important matters on his hands right now as his state is recovering from the devastating tornadoes.

So far, there isn't and likely won't be a friendly wager between Obama and Harper.

-------------------------

Burrows may have gotten away by the league, but let's see how the city of Boston will react. Some have already branded him a coward and let's see if he receives the same hostilities as Todd Bertuzzi did in his trips to Pepsi Center after the Moore incident.

--------------------------

It would be good if Manny Malhotra gets to play a few games. Good luck. :rockin:

Speaking of more header changes, nice gesture from the Richmond-based chain.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:The Premier/Governor have made their own friendly wagers as well. B.C. Premier Christy Clark and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick have placed a friendly wager on the outcome of the Stanley Cup final between the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins. If Vancouver wins, Governor Patrick has agreed to wear a Canucks jersey and send a supply of Legal Sea Food clam chowder. If Boston is victorious, Premier Clark has pledged to wear a Bruins jersey and send Boston a selection of Nanaimo bars and B.C. smoked salmon. In both cases, the food will be donated to charity.

But right now, it looks like Governor Patrick has other important matters on his hands right now as his state is recovering from the devastating tornadoes.

So far, there isn't and likely won't be a friendly wager between Obama and Harper.

-------------------------

Burrows may have gotten away by the league, but let's see how the city of Boston will react. Some have already branded him a coward and let's see if he receives the same hostilities as Todd Bertuzzi did in his trips to Pepsi Center after the Moore incident.

It would be good if Manny Malhotra gets to play a few games. Good luck. :rockin:

Speaking of more header changes, nice gesture from the Richmond-based chain.
man, you cant even mention burrows and bertuzzi in the same book.

Richmond based chain???
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:

If you recall Alex is a pretty good fighter, but with his offensive progression he has to stay on the ice. That said, he can't find his way to the penalty box, like he did in game 1 on a regular basis as his worth is his skating ability.
I hear what you're saying Rammer, game seven, round one overtime I felt like I'd just inhaled golf balls in the wrong orifice when he went off for two.

Burrows is an awesome player, awesome agitator and awesome fighter.. if some dick wad sticks their finger in my mouth I'm biting it too.

Now lets move on. :beauty:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Amazing redemption, Alex Burrows! :beauty:
Going from coward to hero! :rockin:

Replaying the goal 11-seconds in, great puck movement by Burrows from that sharp angle wraparound.
[video][/video]
Last edited by Robbie on Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Amazing redemption, Alex Burrows! :beauty:
Going from coward to hero! :rockin:
That would be in some "fans" eyes, not so much in others. I did select Burrows for the OT winner, although I do feel badly for the other selections my family members made, as they didn't have a chance to succeed. :beauty:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Way to go, Alex. Loved in Vancouver. Hated around the league. That's OK. He's our guy.

Most fun moment for me, aside from the tieing goal and the winning goal = Maxim Lapierre teasing Bergeron by making like he is trying to put his finger in Bergeron's mouth.

Imagine what it must be like to have a stinking hockey glove finger shoved into your mouth. Gag reflex. Of course your finger will get bitten. The league made the right call. :thup:

Go Canucks. Win game #3. One game at a time, which has been the mantra for the team all season.

Strength down centre. I recall that old adage from the Montreal Canadiens even before the Canucks had a franchise.

Well, the Canucks have that now. Henrik Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Maxim Lapierre and Manny Malhotra. Wow. That is strength down centre. (With Cody Hodgson somewhere in the wings)

Strength down centre also referred to defence and goaltending. Deepest defence corps in the league. And Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider in goal. That is the definition of strength down centre.

Not only that, but our third and fourth lines are amazing. So fast. Excellent size. So determined on the forecheck. Wearing down the opposing defences. Generating scoring chances.

Lapierre, Hansen and Torres are awesome.

As are Malhotra, Oreskovich and Tambellini (or Glass).

Alberts played great.

I thought the first call on Rome was chintzy.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

who are those guys ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Burrows may have gotten away by the league, but let's see how the city of Boston will react. Some have already branded him a coward and let's see if he receives the same hostilities as Todd Bertuzzi did in his trips to Pepsi Center after the Moore incident.
Robbie, there are times when you should stick to posting pictures. Your comments are off the wall.
Robbie wrote: Alex Burrows may play hockey like a strong man but fights like a little girl. Fortunately, he got away with it as the league will not suspend him.
Robbie, this comment of yours is sexist and insulting to both Burrows and to "little girls."

There are many Canucks fans, including myself, who think Alex Burrows provides the heart, hunger and courage that makes the Sedins line tick. Not to mention his speed, work along the boards, forechecking, etc.

Bergeron stuck his stinky gloved finger in Burrow's mouth, and held it there when Burrows tried to twist away. I agree with the official who saw it face to face and called nothing. You stick your finger in the Lion's mouth, expect to get it bitten off, by reflex.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I have to ask... how can anyone call Alex a coward? Where does that come from? :dizzy:

I loved that clip to.. didn't see it live probably because it wasn't but sure made me chuckle :-)

Win one in boston, then finish it on friday at home just as it should be.

What an incredible run... what's more amazing is they've been so dominate that for me this has been a forgone conlusion for some time now. :beauty:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Mind boggling series, IMO. Glad Burrows got some redemption. IMO, this series could easily be 2-0 Bruins. Yes, I feel the Canucks were full value for both wins but the Bruins are close. Both games have finished by the Canucks scoring the winning goal within a 20 second window of the 20 minute mark of the 3 period. Do the Canucks have Thomas figured out? Perhaps. Many people I know are a little dissappointed by the low scoring. I personally prefer low scoring games. I think this series is far from over. The Canucks are saying and doing all the right things.

I too loved the Lapierre offering his finger. I was laughing. Gillis (and his assistants) really deserves some kudos for those deadline deals. Both have really helped out, IMO.