Canucks 2011 Playoff Run

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Well the games that count begin tonight, with the Canucks taking on the playoff hated Black Hawk's.

What are your predictions?
Entertainment value = an all time low
kacbru
prospect

I guarantee the cup will be hoisted in 2011 in Vancouver. It just might not be until November.
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

Canucks in 5 and a 16 team CFL within 20 years! Also a side note the LFL is coming to Canada!!!!!!!!! Does anyone care? LOL
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

LFL - Lefty football league??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:What are your predictions?
How about you add a poll to this thread:

How far will the Canucks go in the 2011 playoffs?

1. Lose in the first round.
2. Win the first round, lose in the second round.
3. Win the second round, lose in the Conference finals.
4. Win the Conference finals, lose in the Stanley Cup finals.
5. Wins the Stanley Cup.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
D
Team Captain

beercanchicken.jpg
Canucks in 6 :rockin:
and yummy Blackhawk in a beer can
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Rammer
Team Captain

Six is tough, it means a final victory on the Hawks ice, not sure that is in the cards. I am going to go Canucks in 5, they will have a purpose this time around and Luongo has a backup to help motivate him.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Get the Hawk out of here.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

IMO ...

The Hawks are not anywhere near as challenging as they were last year.

Missing ... Buffy, Versteeg, Burish, Ladd, a couple more. Those footsoldiers were awesome in the playoffs.

However, IMO Toews must be the best leader in the NHL. What a player. :thup: Does all the gritty stuff. With speed and talent and much intelligence, all dedicated to winning.

They scored near as many goals as the Canucks this year.

Where they should be vulnerable, IMO ...

Smallish defense. Take the body on them. But legally. Wear them out.

Lack of depth at forward. Shut down Toews. That is Job 1. Wear him out.

Pressure Crawford. No way he is top calibre, IMO.

Play our game. Keep the mouths shut.

Not happy to see Hank and Danny get penalties. Danny got his to start period 3. Oooooohhhh. The Hawks got them off their game last year. If that happens again, I don't want to see it.

Luongo is at the top of his game.

Our D is deep and talented.

Our O should be excellent.

Gotta play smart. The Hawks will try every trick now to throw us off.

The odds are much in our favour.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

D wrote:
beercanchicken.jpg
Canucks in 6 :rockin:
and yummy Blackhawk in a beer can
stick a fork in'em - they're done! Canucks Sweep Baby.
Rammer
Team Captain

3 - 0, who would have predicted that. A very strong showing by the Canucks to date, avenging some demons may be the best motivation for the Canucks. Finish it off in four and they are sitting very pretty for the playoffs, as the first round is generally the round that most teams spend their energy.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gillis did a great job improving the Canucks' depth and talent in the off-season.

Hamhuis is a very, very good shutdown defender. Mobile. Very good passer. Excellent positioning. Smart. Easy to overlook his play, but it is no surprise Vignault gives him so many minutes.

Erhoff is so good with the puck. And a great shooter on the Power Play.

Edler is awesome (gotta be a future Norris candidate). He is an amazing skater, especially for such a big guy. He is jet propelled. Has he been hitting the weights? He looks rock hard out there. He hits like Ohlund, but even moreso.

Too bad about Torres hit on Seabrook. That is the way Torres plays. IMO Seabrook, for a big guy, 6'3" had his head very low on the hit. I expect most of the players in the league who are considered hitters would be unsure how they are supposed to hit guys whose head is lower than usual. If Seabrook arrived in a more upright position, it would have been shoulder to shoulder. As AV says, players are being educated about the new rule; Torres plays on that edge. He hits everything that moves.

If he is suspended it might not be all that bad for the Canucks. Hodgson looks ready to contribute, although in a different way than Torres. Tambellini is available, another different style than Torres. Even Rome can play a 4th line role well enough. All of these guys are less likely to be on the referee's radar.

I did not much like Cam Cole's article in which he pretty much asks for the death penalty for Torres. The rule is new. Hitters are having trouble adapting their style to it.

Glad to see Roberto bounce back in game 3 with an awesome performance, after what I thought was a less than stellar performance in game 2.

Gotta say I love the way the Canucks play. Talent. Hard hitting. No nonsense. So many weapons, even when they don't play their best, they usually find ways to win, as in game 3.

Is Ballard sort of in AV's doghouse? Not necessarily, I guess. The other guys are playing better, more dependable.

Kesler better win the Selke, or else.

It looks like the media prefers Corey Perry over Daniel Sedin for the Hart. I gotta disagree. Sedin was the MVP for the best team in the league. That should have a huge bearing on the award. Although voters might decide Luongo and Kesler really get much of the credit for the team's success too, which is true. But I still think Daniel deserves it more than Perry.

I love how the Canucks stay so focused on what is important. And how they say the right things about the opponent. Torres kind of said the dumb thing about Kane. IMO it is always better psychologically to give your opponent no motivating material.

I've got a lot of respect for Jonathan Toews. But it does look like Captain Serious is not so admirable when his team continues to lose. He really does not want to acknowledge that the Canucks even had a great regular season, and he continues to insist that his team is better, but has not figured out how to show it. After a poor regular season, and backing into the playoffs, isn't it time he recognized that his team is a bare 8th place entry into the playoffs, and no longer the team they were last year?

Just my impressions and opinions ...
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think the Canucks need to lose a Game this series, before they get too cocky and over confident and complacent.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

don't forget Luongo. IMO he's the only reason we've got'em on the run.

as for Torres - you gotta keep your head up baby. what does he have to do - make an appointment to throw a hit? You can't cruise around behind the net with your head down for crying out loud.

anyone know why Quennville put his big guy into the lineup? get out there and don't dance . . .
Rammer
Team Captain

Torres hit does have a condition to the area of the rink that the contact was made, behind the net according to Bob McKenzie is an area that provides even more gray material for the refs/Campbell to interpret as there is suppose to be more contact allowed in that area. Personally, I don't like the fact he got a penalty, let alone the potential for a suspension. However given that he is coming off a rather lengthy suspension for similar contact, he has to know better especially after the earlier "roughing" call he received for hitting the end boards. He is a marked man.

Edler and Ohlund comparisons are good defensively, but what an upgrade Edler is as he can get to where he wants to at a much faster pace than Ohlund ever could. I love Ohlund and thought that his departure was a shame, but the $4.5M he got wasn't a reasonable price to match. Also considering the time that Edler missed, he didn't look out of place from the moment that he returned, a very solid piece to a very good defensive group.

The NHL would be stupid to give the Hart trophy to Perry, as the back to back Hart trophy wins by two brother, twins at that will be discussed for many generations. Perry not so much. Problem is the way Perry carried his team down the stretch, where Daniel had a large supporting cast.

As for Luongo, he has to be better than game two every game and the Canucks will go deep into the playoffs, but game 1 and 3 were better than he has had to play in the regular season. If he can play at that level, there will be no stopping the Canucks, his stops on Kane have been nothing short of robbery to date, just ask Kane.

Game 3 was a game the Hawks needed and really should have put away in the first period. I think that they are going to find it very difficult to find a better start than that, and it may have put the dagger as close to their heart that a good first 10 minutes by the Canucks will finish off.