Johnny Canuck Jersey ...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I've always loved the Johnny Canuck logo.

When Burke was the GM I even sent a note, as a fan, asking if the club had any plans for it?

It would seem Roberto Luongo has helped keep it in currency, with the logo on his mask.

And there are some dedicated fans who wouldn't mind seeing it as an alternate jersey or even as the main jersey.

Nice to see it in use at the Canucks' Skills day.

Here are a couple of pix of the jersey from the event ...

Photos by Arlen Redekop, PNG
D
Team Captain

Best Logo in Sports period
I own The Grey Cup! .com
MacNews
Team Captain

What the heck is it?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He is Johnny Canuck, from the old Western Hockey League days.

It is based on the Canadian icon, Johnny Canuck of legend, who was a lumberjack. Here he is obviously charging down the ice in a hockey game wearing his toque and deer skin shirt. LOL

You were serious in your question, right?

In some ways, it is almost like a cult following, it seems to me. Cult or underground. But getting more currency all the time, thanks to Luongo, methinks. And dedicated fans of the logo.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Love it :rockin:
MacNews
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:You were serious in your question, right?
Yes, I really don't get what he is.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

he's drunk.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:You were serious in your question, right?
Yes, I really don't get what he is.
He's a Canadian lumberjack playing hockey on the frozen pond. That's it.
D
Team Captain

We are all Canucks
2222.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I own The Grey Cup! .com
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

good one
David
Team Captain

I am aware of its history, but I am not sure why it's popular. This is not to say I dislike it necessarily; just don't know why many like it so much is all.

After all, as Canadians, we tend to be a trifle self-conscious about our image. And a skating, toque-wearing French Canadian lumberjack pretty much reinforces every American stereotype out there, short of him shooting a puck into an open igloo with a moose looking on in amusement. I much prefer the 1970 stick-in-rink logo.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I am aware of its history, but I am not sure why it's popular. This is not to say I dislike it necessarily; just don't know why many like it so much is all.

After all, as Canadians, we tend to be a trifle self-conscious about our image. And a skating, toque-wearing French Canadian lumberjack pretty much reinforces every American stereotype out there, short of him shooting a puck into an open igloo with a moose looking on in amusement. I much prefer the 1970 stick-in-rink logo.

DH
LOL

I hear ya, David.

I guess it is some kind of litmus test. LOL

For example. How many people loved the closing ceremonies at the 2010 Olympics where we had fun with every stereotype of a Canadian that they could think of? I loved it. It could have gone on forever. The lumberjacks. The giant mooses (meeces?) (moose?). Ha ha ... Buble singing The Maple Leaf Forever. I'm laughing remembering it.

Embrace it.

There might be some of that in the logo. He just looks so cool charging down the ice.

It's one of those things where people look at it and some go: "Wow, I love it." Others look at it and go: "I don't get it." Ha ha

I get it. And I guess it is not something you can explain.

I love it. If they sell them, I might even get one. Ha ha

And he ain't necessarily French Canadian. British Columbia after all is one of the lumber industry leaders of the world. He could be from Ontario, and certainly he could be from B.C. But he is definitely Canadian. Canuck you might say.

Canuck of course has had negative connotations. But not worse than Yankee for example.

Part of it too is the pride thing. I recall the Crazy Canucks of skiing fame in the 1970s. Ken Read, Steve Podborski, Todd Brooker, etc., who put Canadian men's skiing on the world map. They overwhelmed Europe with their derring do.

The rest of the world thinks Canadians are peaceful and boring. Well, not exactly. And not after those Olympics. To me, Johnny Canuck is part of that.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some NHL teams are considering changing their jerseys. Not the Canucks?

Man, if the Canucks started to wear this jersey ... :thup:

That is just so dayum cool.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Some NHL teams are considering changing their jerseys. Not the Canucks?
Generate more revenues.
aklawitter
All Star

You want a smash hit revenue generator, you make an updated late80s/early90s jersey.