Johnny Canuck Jersey ...

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I am aware of its history, but I am not sure why it's popular. This is not to say I dislike it necessarily; just don't know why many like it so much is all.

After all, as Canadians, we tend to be a trifle self-conscious about our image. And a skating, toque-wearing French Canadian lumberjack pretty much reinforces every American stereotype out there, short of him shooting a puck into an open igloo with a moose looking on in amusement. I much prefer the 1970 stick-in-rink logo.

DH
You are not alone brother. I have never really taken to old Johnny Canuck and frankly, it is a symbol that is not widely known or understood and honestly looks something more appropriate for an amateur team.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
David wrote:I am aware of its history, but I am not sure why it's popular. This is not to say I dislike it necessarily; just don't know why many like it so much is all.

After all, as Canadians, we tend to be a trifle self-conscious about our image. And a skating, toque-wearing French Canadian lumberjack pretty much reinforces every American stereotype out there, short of him shooting a puck into an open igloo with a moose looking on in amusement. I much prefer the 1970 stick-in-rink logo.

DH
You are not alone brother. I have never really taken to old Johnny Canuck and frankly, it is a symbol that is not widely known or understood and honestly looks something more appropriate for an amateur team.
You Guys. LOL

How about the Mighty Ducks, or just the Ducks? I didn't like it when it came out. Then I accepted it, and it didn't bother me any more. Not saying Johnny Canuck is like the Mighty Ducks, but the cartoon aspect is there.

It may be that Johnny Canuck is not widely understood, Sir P.

IMO if the Canucks, in some alternate universe perhaps :wink: , were to win a couple of Stanley Cups wearing Johnny Canuck, the logo would rule.

"amateur team" ... Yes, I suppose that is part of the reaction of non endorsers.

For myself, I never endorsed the passive hockey stick lying in the rink logo. Nor the skate going downhill. Nor the yellow, black and red V jersey. Nor even the orca. But Johnny Canuck? Best logo in sports, as noted above, by D. :thup:

He is a wild lumberjack charging down the ice. :rockin:

A B.C. lumberjack, David, not from Quebec. :wink:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

This old article from 2008 shows how I've felt about the face profile over a V version of the Johnny Canuck logo.
http://kuklaskorner.com/candb/tags/tag/johnny+canuck

Vachon has since removed the chef's face profile and just his hat remains. (I've been familiar with various versions of that logo since the '70's).

http://www.vachon.com/en/history/#2000

I tend to agree that the Johnny Canuck skater logo is a bit ECHL minor league cartoonish. The Anaheim Ducks also must have come to the same conclusion about their original logo. The current version is nothing like the original. It's a rather abstract webbed foot "D". (Not unlike how the 1970 Canucks stick in rink is actually a stylized "C".)