Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Ravi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I fully expected the Vancouver fans to boo the Canadian Olympic hockey team off of the ice after that loss to the U.S. tonight. Vancouver fans did that back in '72 and woke that listless team up. What has happened to those tough Vancouver fans? Have the Vancouver hockey fans become so accustomed to mediocrity that the lousy performance of this over-hyped Olympic hockey team means nothing to them?
User avatar
Ravi
Champion
 
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: St Catharines, Ontario

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Tighthead » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 pm

The performance wasn't exactly lousy, they got out goaltended by a long shot. That doesn't make them over-hyped, or listless. If booing would turn your crank, good for you.
User avatar
Tighthead
2014 MVP
2014 MVP
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Rammer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Tighthead wrote:The performance wasn't exactly lousy, they got out goaltended by a long shot. That doesn't make them over-hyped, or listless. If booing would turn your crank, good for you.


Can't quite recall the shots vs the US (43 - 25 or so), so you can't boo a team off the ice for that effort. However my worst fear may be playing out, Luongo in net, I will have to cross my fingers for the remainder of this ride.
“It meant everything,” Mitchell said of last season. “It was the first time in my life I was a champion. It was the first time I understood football was a family. Right now I want to be the best defensive lineman I can be.” - Khaliff Mithcell, TC 2012

That is what pride is all about. Lions roar, let us prey!
User avatar
Rammer
2014 MVP
2014 MVP
 
Posts: 21301
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Coquitlam, B.C.

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby D » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Ravi wrote:Have the Vancouver hockey fans become so accustomed to mediocrity

Blow Leafs Blow

Ravi ... i was at the game in 72 and not everyone booed,

Canada has a history of getting it done the hard way ... 72,84 and 87 all come to mind. so either get off the bus now or remain seated until it comes to a complete stop
I own The Grey Cup! .com
User avatar
D
2014 MVP
2014 MVP
 
Posts: 8147
Images: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:43 pm
Location: West Van

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Ravi » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 pm

D wrote:
Ravi wrote:Have the Vancouver hockey fans become so accustomed to mediocrity

Blow Leafs Blow

Ravi ... i was at the game in 72 and not everyone booed,

Canada has a history of getting it done the hard way ... 72,84 and 87 all come to mind. so either get off the bus now or remain seated until it comes to a complete stop


I am certainly not going to defend Toronto hockey fans. :wink: However, this Canadian team has been a major disappointment so far. They were put in, arguably, the weakest pool and couldn't even win it. A tie against the Swiss and a loss against a U.S. team that IMO is no better than the 7th best team in this tournament should have brought out the boo birds to try to wake this group up before it is too late. By the time they start booing, it will be too late.

As for Luongo, I agree with Rammer. I don't exactly consider him to be a clutch performer but it will be do or die with him now although I don't understand why Fleury isn't getting consideration to start the next game. One thing that is true is that this competition isn't over yet.
User avatar
Ravi
Champion
 
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: St Catharines, Ontario

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby WestCoastJoe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 pm

For those inclined that way, I wouldn't jump off the bridge yet.

As has been mentioned the Canadian team played hard tonight. Out goal-tended. Brodeur could not handle the puck, and was not on his game.

Lucky deflection to start the game. Rafalski played out of his mind.
..............

vs the Swiss, Hiller played out of his mind.
..............

The Olympic hockey tournament gets so much hype, but we all know anything can happen in one game, or even a short tournament.
.................

The Canadian effort is there. It comes down to goaltending. Has Brodeur out-played either Hiller or Miller? No.

Back to Luongo. Or even Fleury.

..........

Perhaps that stupid "Own the Podium" slogan is affecting the hockey team too.

Own the Podium? Nah ... The decision-maker behind the slogan and program can "Own the Odium."
User avatar
WestCoastJoe
2014 MVP
2014 MVP
 
Posts: 11926
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Lion_Pride_26 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:15 pm

WestCoastJoe wrote:Perhaps that stupid "Own the Podium" slogan is affecting the hockey team too.

Own the Podium? Nah ... The decision-maker behind the slogan and program can "Own the Odium."


Stupid? If it's stupid to support our athletes and believe in them, then I guess I'm stupid. :)
User avatar
Lion_Pride_26
Legend
 
Posts: 2752
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:24 pm

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby WestCoastJoe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Lion_Pride_26 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Perhaps that stupid "Own the Podium" slogan is affecting the hockey team too.

Own the Podium? Nah ... The decision-maker behind the slogan and program can "Own the Odium."


Stupid? If it's stupid to support our athletes and believe in them, then I guess I'm stupid. :)


Of course we support our athletes. Support them financially, and with training et cetera. But the idea is to not put more pressure on them than they can handle.

And IMO it is not a good idea in sports to talk a big game before you play. IMO "Own the Podium" does just that. IMO it puts too much pressure on the athletes.
User avatar
WestCoastJoe
2014 MVP
2014 MVP
 
Posts: 11926
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby TheLionKing » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:35 pm

The young guns on this team outplayed the veterans tonight. Brodeur should focus on stopping instead of playing the puck.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 15365
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:13 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Dan_Payne_fan!! » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Miller stood on his head tonight, theres nothing we can do about that but we should have started Luongo in net today. oh well lets focus on Germany :)
2012 Season Ticket Holder
User avatar
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 3567
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:57 pm
Location: Port Moody

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Solar Max » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 am

The difference last night was Miller, imo. He was great.

Good to see Canada taking some shots on net rather than endless passing on the PP and just before and after. The road will be tougher throw Germany etc on Tuesday, but as D pointed out, that is our way.

As for 1972, that one game set some of us on a lifelong mission. :)
User avatar
Solar Max
2014 MVP
2014 MVP
 
Posts: 6771
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Tighthead » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:30 am

In some ways, an extra game isn't that bad. One more chance to develop better chemistry.
User avatar
Tighthead
2014 MVP
2014 MVP
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby sj-roc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:47 am

Tighthead wrote:In some ways, an extra game isn't that bad. One more chance to develop better chemistry.

Sincerely,
Western Final home losses in 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2007 (that's 14 of the last 22 if you're counting)
BC Place: Come for the retractable roof, stay for the hi-def video board.

Lions' W-L record @BCPII: 21-4 reg season, 23-5 incl post-season since 2011/09/30
User avatar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 4918
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: Kerrisdale

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby The_Pauser » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:43 am

There's nothing wrong with putting Luongo in net. This is his home rink afterall, and he has been dominant at GM Place. You do not put in MAF either...the guy hasn't played a single minute of Olympic hockey, whereas Luongo has (and shutout the Norwegeins). At this point, you put in Luongo and ride him as far as he'll take you. Brodeur is washed up and simply does not have it anymore.
THINK about it
User avatar
The_Pauser
Legend
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:36 pm

Re: Where have those tough Vancouver fans gone?

Postby Lion Guy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:09 pm

WestCoastJoe wrote:For those inclined that way, I wouldn't jump off the bridge yet.

As has been mentioned the Canadian team played hard tonight. Out goal-tended. Brodeur could not handle the puck, and was not on his game.

Lucky deflection to start the game. Rafalski played out of his mind.
..............

vs the Swiss, Hiller played out of his mind.
..............

The Olympic hockey tournament gets so much hype, but we all know anything can happen in one game, or even a short tournament.
.................

The Canadian effort is there. It comes down to goaltending. Has Brodeur out-played either Hiller or Miller? No.

Back to Luongo. Or even Fleury.

..........

Perhaps that stupid "Own the Podium" slogan is affecting the hockey team too.

Own the Podium? Nah ... The decision-maker behind the slogan and program can "Own the Odium."


We own it; we're just letting everyone else stand on it.
Whether the glass is half full or half empty, it's time to order another one.
User avatar
Lion Guy
Legend
 
Posts: 2331
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:41 am
Location: Lion Country

Next

Return to All Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest