Bill Walsh Dead at 75

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7074 ... &GT1=10239

Bill Walsh was my favorite NFL coach. Where others had Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry I related to Bill and his innovative style as the article above says, Walsh brought something new to the game in the development of the west coast offence.

When the San Francisco Forty-niners were a Cinderella team and underdog that went to the Super Bowl in 1980 at the Silver Dome, there was never a doubt in my mind that smooth calm interior, the intellect of the man who knew the game so well, and the fabulous tools (many of whom he had direct influence in recruiting into the organization) to execute the multi-dimensional game plan and play selection, which would make them not only the victors that day, but would go on to a dynasty of the coming decade.

Yes "The Professor" has passed on today out of the world of men, and that of world class professional football,
but he and those that worked with him, and love him will tell you that he was an unforgettable genius of the gridiron, and will even more be sorely missed.
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

My favorite too. Sports Illustrated had an amazing article (back in 1980) on his coaching style and his West Coast Offence before it was even called that. Ever since reading that article he and the 49ers were the team I followed.

He had coached under Paul Brown forever and did not get a chance under him with the Bengals.

In his decision making he did not see things as just black and white but saw the subtleties. He was criticised for it. They said he was indecisive, but, in fact, he just recognized the depth and complexity of things, and he understood the mistake of being impulsive or habitual in your decisions.

That is a shame to hear that he has passed away. He belongs with the legends like Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry and Chuck Noll.