BCS National Championship

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

CB123
Legend

Well since it was announced it was gonna be Ohio St. vs. Florida, almost everyone had made up their mind that OSU was gonna win (they went 12-0 during the regular season).

Today I said to my friend that it was just gonna be another Sugar Bowl (ND lost to LSU 41-14), lol but when I said that I ment that OSU was gonna be in LSU's place, not ND! ahahahahha I am sooooooooooo happy OSU lost to Florida! Especially since it was 41-14!!!!

OSU played horrible! It was so awesome! Their Heisman trophy winner (QB Troy Smith) was held to 4/14, 35 yards, and 1 TD!!!! I think he was sacked something like 5 times, fumbled once, and threw a Int! They only got 6 1st downs, and only had 82 net yards!

Next year Im looking forward to seeing the USC Trojans in the National Championship again!
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

I'd like to see Boise State and their sandlot game against Florida for a real championship.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:I'd like to see Boise State and their sandlot game against Florida for a real championship.
The very fact that a Florida/Boise State match up won't happen makes the whole BCS a joke. That's why I'm glad Florida won tonight, to throw the whole BCS into further disrepute. Boise State goes 13-0, wins a game for the ages on New Year's Day in a major Bowl game against a big football factory, and they don't get any national championship love? What a joke. I know the coaches are all far too chicken *poop* to vote for Boise State in the coaches' poll, but I hope at least one of the Associated Press voters puts in a first place vote for Boise State, just to make a statement.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
David
Team Captain

Well, since I didn't have ties to either school and my alma mater having no chance of going to a bowl game in the next 300 years, I was actually cheering for Ohio State for Brent Johnson and Rob Murphy's sake.

I'm with Lionut, the BCS is a joke. Could they have pushed this game any farther out? I'm just glad they could fit it in before graduation. :roll: You knew with that much time off that someone was going to come out flatter than Olga Korbut.

And I totally get the commercial aspect of sports marketing as I am in the marketing field myself. But watching the Fox feed tonight, it was a 3 and 1/2 hour Frito Lay commerical for their Tostitos brand. Color me cynical, but half time was contrived corporate do-gooding spectacle on behalf of Frito Lay in which fans of both teams played "nice" and together built some poor sap a new house, with the CEO narrating the proceeding and touching all the "feel good" buttons. At the end, their Marketing VP presented Dad and admiring daughter the key to the house. Gag.

I'm just surprised that they shot confetti in the air on the podium and not Tostitos. :roll:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lionut
Hall of Famer

David wrote: At the end, their Marketing VP presented Dad and admiring daughter the key to the house.
It's the new unwritten rule of sports corporate sponsorship - sometime during the proceedings, some dorky VP of something-or-other (usually marketing or public affairs) gets to come on TV and have an awkward moment presenting somebody with something. This kind of work is just too embarrassing for the CEO to do, so it gets delegated.

Good point also about the long layoff. Ohio State had 51 days off from their last game - any surprise they weren't ready to play?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

some dorky VP of something-or-other (usually marketing or public affairs) gets to come on TV and have an awkward moment presenting somebody with something.
At one of the bowl games last year, the corporate sponsor arranged to bring a soldier home from Iraq on a special furlough. Just for the halftime spectacle of an unscheduled reuniting. I haven't been offended like that in quite some time.

As for the game. Nothing bumps my schadenfreude meter to 11 quite like an OSU loss. The bigger the game, the happier I am. So for me, this was a beautiful experience. :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm glad Ohio State lost. The way they select the national champions is a total joke.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:As for the game. Nothing bumps my schadenfreude meter to 11 quite like an OSU loss. The bigger the game, the happier I am. So for me, this was a beautiful experience. :wink:
You and my Plymouth MI born brother-in-law who happens to live in Ann Arbor (and is a U of M season ticket holder). My sister reported that he was observed doing cartwheels down the street....at half-time!

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

My customary trophy picture.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
cromartie wrote:As for the game. Nothing bumps my schadenfreude meter to 11 quite like an OSU loss. The bigger the game, the happier I am. So for me, this was a beautiful experience. :wink:
You and my Plymouth MI born brother-in-law who happens to live in Ann Arbor (and is a U of M season ticket holder). My sister reported that he was observed doing cartwheels down the street....at half-time!

DH 8)
I live among these people now. To watch the transition from jubuliant expectation to dismay, to shock, to depression, to acceptance was just too beautiful for words.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Update -- precisely one AP voter showed Boise State some love. :roll: The rest voted for Florida. That might not be so bad, save for the fact that they put Ohio State at #2. WTF? Ohio State gets cruelly exposed as being completely overrated, and they get to stay at #2? What, are the voters afraid that they'll stop getting swag from the BCS if they don't put the runner-up of that bogus "Championship Game" at #2? I love college football, but the morally bankrupt NCAA suits themselves make me retch.