World Junior Hockey Championships 2007

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What a nerve racking game this morning ! Canada beat the USA 2-1 in 7 rounds of shootout. Jonathan Toews tallied 3 times in the shootout. He had the US goalie coming and going. Toews scored on a penalty shot in their last game. USA had 3 chances of winning it in the shootout but Carey Price saved our bacon. If you get an opportunity to see the replay, do so. It's well worth it. One of the best games you're ever going to see.
Rammer
Team Captain

The OT powerplay by the USA was nerve racking. The shootout wasn't as bad considering that Canada choose to shoot first and with them scoring almost at will, it wasn't as dramatic as the other way around. I am not sure that I like the ruling of any player shooting after the first three, however it does lead to more debate on the HC shoulders when you fail to win.

As for the best game, that is debatable, but it was a gooder with a better ending.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It will be Canada vs. Russia for gold after Russia beat Sweden 4-2 in the other semi-final.

Game time is this Friday at 10:30 Pacific Time.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Canada leads Russia 4-1 after two periods. It looks like they will strike gold for the third consecutive year. USA beat Sweden 2-1 for the bronze.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Make that 4-2 after two -- it ain't over yet.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Russians are back to their usual tactics. Canada needs to play better postional hockey and stay out of the penalty box.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Make that 4-2 after two -- it ain't over yet.
Now it is.

What's up with the Players of the Game getting My Little Pony awards?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That Carey Price was outstanding throughout the tournament. He reminds me of a Ken Dryden.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

YAHOO!!!!!! WE WIN!!!! WOW. EXCITING AS HELL. Hilarious when Toews swore during his post game interview w/o realizing it! Go Canada!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:YAHOO!!!!!! WE WIN!!!! WOW. EXCITING AS HELL. Hilarious when Toews swore during his post game interview w/o realizing it! Go Canada!
Yeah -- I was like, "Did he just say f---?"
Robbie
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:What's up with the Players of the Game getting My Little Pony awards?
Do you have a picture of that? I think the Players of the Game are much too excited about their gold medals and championship trophy to be bothered by their tiny individual awards. Dickenson and McCallum only received tiny trophies for their individual awards in the Grey Cup as I don't think GMC sponsored any truck awards anymore.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
sj-roc wrote:What's up with the Players of the Game getting My Little Pony awards?
Do you have a picture of that? I think the Players of the Game are much too excited about their gold medals and championship trophy to be bothered by their tiny individual awards. Dickenson and McCallum only received tiny trophies for their individual awards in the Grey Cup as I don't think GMC sponsored any truck awards anymore.
No, I don't. My MLP remark was a little tongue-in-cheek -- I did get a decent look at them; they're probably some sort of indigenous Scandinavian carvings/sculptures.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

A bunch of ecstatic young men.

CB123
Legend

3 in a row!!! I just wish it was in Vancouver again...
BC Lions - 2006 Grey Cup Champions!
USC Trojans - 2007 Rose Bowl Champions!
Team Canada - 2007 World Junior Hockey Champions!
Vancouver Giants - 2007 Memorial Cup Champions!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

As expected, the third place bronze medalist Americans were happier than the second place sliver medalist Russians.