ALDS #1

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

New York or Detroit?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 am

New York
64%
Detroit
36%

Total votes: 11
crburrows
Champion

I've gotta go with New York, here. Detroit is tanking, and you need to be at your best to beat the pinstripes.
Bosco
Team Captain

As much as I hate the Yankees, Detroit will be lucky if they win a game. Detroit has had a terrible last month of the season and you have to think that the dreaded empire is in great shape to sweep this best of three.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Detroit!
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
crburrows
Champion

Yankees win game 1.

TheEeEeEe YANKEES Win!
Lion_Pride_26
Legend

Yankees will probably take this one, Tigers don't have the playoff experience the Yanks have.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Rain Delay....
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lions_Fan_4_Life wrote:Rain Delay....
The game was eventually postponed until tomorrow.

Speaking of rain delays in the MLB, I wonder what the refund and raincheck policy is. I've never attended an MLB game that was rained out, so I wonder how a team typically compensates their fans during the regular season if a game is canceled, postponed, or stopped. Does anybody know:

#1.
If a game was not started due to rain and is scheduled as a doubleheader for the next night, what happens to the ticket holders of the original game? Let's say it's a team that often sells out its stadium, and both games were sold out. I think it's difficult for the team to allow everyone with tickets for the first night to attend game 1 of the double header and once that's done, force them all out of the stadium to allow the ticket holders of the next night to attend game 2. So do ticket holders of the first game get refunds?

#2.
If a rained out game is rescheduled on a future date (not as a doubleheader) but the ticket holder cannot attend on the future date, can they get a refund?

A real life situation happened as a result of tonight's postponed game. The game scheduled for 8:09 PM on Wednesday has been rescheduled for 1:09 PM Thursday. Obviously, work and school obligations will prevent many people from attending the rescheduled afternoon game.

#3.
If a game is stopped halfway due to rain, will ticket holders get a partial refund?

From my memory, there was only one time when a Vancouver Canucks game was postponed. A scheduled game in January 1993 was postponed to the following night due to a heavy snowstorm. The Canucks would not issue refunds to anyone who couldn't make it to the rescheduled game the following night. A disgruntled fan who couldn't make it the next night decided to take out his frustrations with an article in The Province.

And from my memory, the only time a BC Lions game was postponed was in September 2001. A schedule home game against Hamilton was postponed because flight delays and cancellations caused by 9/11 prevented the Tiger-Cats from arriving in Vancouver. For a long while, it was not decided when the game would be made up. It was finally made up on the Tuesday following the final weekend of the regular season and before the weekend of the first round of the playoffs. Do any of you know what the refund policy was? For those ticket holders who couldn't make the rescheduled game nearly two months later, were they eligible for a refund?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:The game was eventually postponed until tomorrow.

A real life situation happened as a result of tonight's postponed game. The game scheduled for 8:09 PM on Wednesday has been rescheduled for 1:09 PM Thursday. Obviously, work and school obligations will prevent many people from attending the rescheduled afternoon game.
According to the NY Yankees official web page, game 2 ticket holders can attend Thursday's afternoon rescheduled game. But if they cannot make the new time, then tough:

"Fans holding 'Home Game 2' tickets for the game must use their tickets for the rescheduled game on Thursday at Yankee Stadium. Only 'Home Game 2' tickets will be honored for the rescheduled game on Thursday. According to a press release issued by the Yankees, no ticket exchanges will be honored and no part of the purchase price will be refunded by reason of the failure of the ticket holder to use the ticket on the rescheduled game date, per the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball."
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Despite the fact that it was rescheduled for a weekday afternoon, a sellout of 56,252 still attended game 2 in Yankee Stadium. I guess the society and culture in New York is that the Yankees are important, so managers and teacher's are willing to excuse employees and students to attend all-important sporting events.

On the Mondays of:

November 25, 1985
November 28, 1994
November 27, 2000

I wonder if companies and schools in Vancouver were willing to forgive employees and students who didn't arrive as a result of "Grey Cup victory party hangovers."
crburrows
Champion

Mine will.
Dan Russell
Legend

With the Yankees I don't know how you can shell out a large amount of money and not be able to get an refund.
Dan Russell
Legend

If we said which NY team would have a 2-0 lead and which would have a 1-1 record. Everyone would have said Yankees are up 2-0 but that is not the case. It still is going to be an tall order for the Tigers to beat the Evil Empire.
Dan Russell
Legend

The surprising Tigers have an strangle hold lead on the Yankees 2 games to one. 1 more loss for the Yankees and their 200 million payroll will be sent home.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, the "evil empire" has been eliminated after an 8-3 loss to the Detroit Tigers. The Detroit Tigers win the series 3-1 and now face the Oakland Athletics in the ALCS.
Bosco
Team Captain

I guess my prediction of Yankees in 3 was a little off. :oops: