2014-2015 NHL Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Black Hawks leading 3-1 after the 2nd period. If they hang on, there will be a 7th and deciding game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There will be a 7th game following Chicago's 5-2 win over Anaheim. Should be a heck of a game Saturday.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Tampa Bay shuts out New York in game 5 2-0 to take a 3-2 series lead. One more win and the Lightning is headed to the Stanley Cup.
I guarantee a Rangers victory to send the game to a Game 7 where the Rangers win!

Unlike Dennis Skulsky's guarantee:

a. I don't have to back it up (as I'm not betting on the outcome.
b. I'm not creating bulletin board material for Tampa.

I'd like to see Vigneault get a W and a Stanley cup to follow.

Now I guarantee ONE more Rangers victory in Game 7 despite this footnote:
Game 7 is Friday night in New York, where Tampa Bay has won twice in this series.
Take note Mr. Skulsky.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tampa Bay will benefit from having 2 days off between games rather than the normal one. The extra day off will help the Lightning get some extra rest and rid of the shock of surrendering 5 3rd period goals. Reminds me of Vancouver and the New York Rangers in the finals a few years back.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Tampa Bay will benefit from having 2 days off between games rather than the normal one. The extra day off will help the Lightning get some extra rest and rid of the shock of surrendering 5 3rd period goals. Reminds me of Vancouver and the New York Rangers in the finals a few years back.
Both goalies and teams have suffered blowout losses, but you're right the layoff favors the team/goalie that suffered the most recent one. NYR would have liked to have played game 7 last night.

Lundqvist has got the most to prove in this series--at 33, he's in the back half of his career and he can't waste another chance to win it all.
BC 1988
Legend

Sekeres on 1040 was talking about player agent Mike Luit's announcement that Ryan Miller's rehab from the Feb 22 knee injury is coming along well and he expects to be back after a 5-6 month rehab, which would put him recovered by anywhere from Jul 22-Aug 22nd. Sure makes you wonder who decided he was capable of playing against the Flames. I have a feeling Miller is able to exert too much influence on coaching and medical staff to allow him to play, when he shouldn't be.

Interesting article about this, along with some discussion about Ehrhoff saying he'd consider returning to VAN, and the latest on the Comet's game 3 tonight.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-Sc ... /194/68930
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ehrhoff is 32 years old. Canuck defence is getting old. Highly doubt Vancouver is interested in adding another 30+ year old defenceman
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

UnFREAKINGbelievable that they played Miller back at the time. Unless that game caused more injury (which is doubtful) this is further proof that the HC and his goalee coach blew it.

NYR losing a 3rd game at home to TB in a 7 game series???? Unimaginable. Has this happened before? I believe that coming back to this point at 3-3 is not typical for this series as odds were that TB would have put them away back if I read the report carefully.
BC 1988
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:UnFREAKINGbelievable that they played Miller back at the time. Unless that game caused more injury (which is doubtful) this is further proof that the HC and his goalee coach blew it.
http://canucksarmy.com/2015/5/28/ryan-m ... nd-of-july

This article is exactly how I feel about the handling of the Canucks goalies vs Calgary. If the coaching couldn't see how the Flames were exploiting his lack of mobility in game 6, they deserved to lose that game.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/04/03 ... destroyed/

This April 3rd article shows the Canucks really left it up to Miller to decide based on his adapting to the knee brace. To me, that's ridiculous. I could see it if you are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final and you have no other goalies with NHL experience available. This was only the first round--what would the plan be if they had advanced to the 2nd round. Leave a perfectly healthy Lack on the bench?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Thanks for that BC1988. I am shocked they let Miller make the call.

Rangers and TB no goals at end of second. I'm still going for the guaranteed win....lol.

Oh pooh. Down a goal in less than 2 minutes of third.

Apparently the stats are the team who scores first in the 3rd in a game 7 wins 117 to 42 times. I'm looking like Skulsky (but I don't cost anyone that - other than D's bandwith).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lightning leading the Rangers 2-0 in the 3rd period.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TBL prevail but of course refuse to touch the Prince of Wales Conference Championship trophy.

One of these years a team will win the Stanley Cup but everyone will refuse to touch it because that would be a jinx on them for *next* year's playoffs.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:TBL prevail but of course refuse to touch the Prince of Wales Conference Championship trophy.

One of these years a team will win the Stanley Cup but everyone will refuse to touch it because that would be a jinx on them for *next* year's playoffs.

LOL... yes.. that is the problem why teams don't repeat. They touch the trophy. Take the extra cash etc... celebrate. That logic is why they don't touch their division trophies, etc so you are on to something for further research.

TB defensively allowed not much space.

I could see some hats going on.
BC 1988
Legend

What was most amazing was how truly frustrating it must have been for fans watching at MSG.
At home the Rangers were 1 W, 3 L. 4 goals for, 11 goals allowed.
In Tampa, they were 2 W 1 L, 17 goals for, 10 goals allowed.

A real "power failure" at home. Lundqvist did what he was expected of him in games 5 and 7, but you have to score goals to win.

I'm inclined to hope the Lightning win the Cup now, it's been an impressive run for Bishop (in his first year of playoffs). Of course, we don't know who they will face yet. 2 teams from the Sun Belt would be a first.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:What was most amazing was how truly frustrating it must have been for fans watching at MSG.
At home the Rangers were 1 W, 3 L. 4 goals for, 11 goals allowed.
In Tampa, they were 2 W 1 L, 17 goals for, 10 goals allowed.

A real "power failure" at home. Lundqvist did what he was expected of him in games 5 and 7, but you have to score goals to win.

I'm inclined to hope the Lightning win the Cup now, it's been an impressive run for Bishop (in his first year of playoffs). Of course, we don't know who they will face yet. 2 teams from the Sun Belt would be a first.
Thought I heard something in CBC's pre-game show that NYR had never lost a Game 7 when playing at home. In their entire almost 90-year franchise history. Didn't catch (if they mentioned it at all) how many such wins were in that streak, although they had won something like all six or seven of their most recent Game 7s overall, whether home or road. Granted a lot of series in their early years were never best-of-7 anyway, but still kind of a surprising stat for an Original Six team; sure, you'd expect more wins than losses in those circumstances but you'd think there would be a loss in there somewhere through all those years. But maybe they simply just haven't played very many of those Game 7s and "law of averages" finally caught up to the franchise tonight.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.