Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Pro Football Talk (specifically Mike Florio) has been doing pre-season power rankings, starting at #32 and working their way down. They've now hit #5--Packers--and here's their report on the team. I've pulled this one out because the Packers are my second-favorite NFL team (and because they have drafted--in the 1st round--a player (safety) with my nomination for the "best new name in football": Ha Ha Clinton-Dix).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-packers/

I think Florio nailed it with this report. He sees Aaron Rodgers as the best quarterback in the NFL (as I do) and points to a potent offense in Green Bay. However, the defense is far from superb--actually, until they prove otherwise, really mediocre--in my opinion (and Florio's). I can see the Pack winning the NFL-North and advancing to the playoffs (although getting past the Bears certainly can't be taken for granted; it will come down, I think, to those two in the NFC-N), but I'm not sure I can see them beating either the 49ers or Seahawks to get back to the big dance. But they haven't played the games yet, so anything can happen. We'll learn a lot about the 2014 Packers (and about the Seahawks) in their opening game against the Seahawks at the CLink. Should be a doozy.

BTW, with the Packers slotted in at #5, this leaves the Seahawks, 49ers, Broncos, and Patriots left for the #1-4 spots in Florio's ranking. We'll get those four next week.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the post South P. I'll read it after I respond.....

I like Rodgers too as one of that small circle of elite QB's (P. Manning, Rodgers and Brady). Its always weird because Eli actually has more rings than his older brother but there is no way, IMO, he rates like Peyton. IMO, it will be really interesting seeing how Rodgers rates over his career versus both his contemparies and legends. I realize its always an apples/oranges comparision but fun nonetheless. Also amazing that you'd get a QB like Favre and before he's done (in more ways than one :cool: ) you come up with a replacement whose probably better (that would be your vote I'm betting South P?). I certainly would pick Rodgers over Favre. All in all, my elite QB is still Brady. If Rodgers can lead his team to some more success in the playoffs, I can certainly see my opinion changing. I realize we can have different opinions, world would be pretty boring if we couldn't. One thing that certainly does swing Rodgers way is that the Packers are NOT EVEN A PLAYOFF TEAM, without him under center, IMO. They have struggled when he has been injured, so he obviously is a great leader and makes the players around him better.....

now off to that report.....

yup, a good read. That will be an entertaining division to watch. And yes, Clinton-Dix will make Taylor's all-name team....
South Pender
Legend

Interesting story from Pro Football Talk (written by Michael David Smith) on Tony Dungy's view of the acquisition by the Rams of Michael Sam:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... chael-sam/

Tony Dungy is a guy I really respect. He seems like an authentic, humble person at the same time as having a fine football mind. So I'm a little surprised to see his view on this, but I don't think that it's homophobia, rather a sense that the distractions associated with having the first openly-gay player in the NFL will harm the team as a whole.

And here's the link (embedded in the Pro Football Talk piece) describing how the NFL is trying to hold players and teams to a higher standard. It's an article in the Tampa Tribune by Ira Kaufman. Interesting quotes from a number of head coaches:

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/nfl-holding- ... -20140720/
South Pender
Legend

Pro Football Talk (of NBC Sports) has been doing an NFL Power Ranking count-down, and reached No. 1 today. Their pick for No. 1 is the Seahawks. Here's their rationale (by Curtis Crabtree) for that ranking:

Preseason Power Rankings No. 1: Seattle Seahawks
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

The Seattle Seahawks enter their 2014 training camp as defending Super Bowl champions for the first time in franchise history. While the team lost a handful of contributing pieces to free agency, the Seahawks return most of their impact players from their championship squad. In addition, the team locked up Michael Bennett, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin to long-term contracts to keep them in Seattle for the foreseeable future.

However, Seattle still has some questions to answer as training camp gets set to open on Friday. Can Thomas, Sherman and others play with the same drive after getting paid this offseason? How does Seattle replace Chris Clemons, Red Bryant and Clinton McDonald on their defensive line? Can Percy Harvin stay healthy enough to contribute all season?

Despite the few question marks, Seattle still enters the year as a strong candidate to return to the Super Bowl and become the first team to win consecutive titles since the New England Patriots in 2003-2004.

Strengths.

Even without Brandon Browner, the “Legion of Boom” will continue to cause fits for opposing offenses this year. Earl Thomas has become the premier safety in the game and Richard Sherman arguably the best cornerback. Kam Chancellor remains as the muscle of the quartet and Byron Maxwell has become dangerous as well with four interceptions in five starts to end the regular season.

Assuming the Seahawks and Marshawn Lynch can resolve any potential lingering contract concerns, Seattle’s rushing attack should be as good, if not better, in 2014. Seattle finished the season fourth in rushing with Lynch accumulating 1,257 yards and 12 touchdowns. Second-year back Christine Michael has drawn praise from the coaching staff and could give the offense a home run threat out of the backfield. Defenses still have to be aware of quarterback Russell Wilson rushing as well as he ran for 539 yards last season.

Weaknesses.

The offensive line was the biggest problem area for the Seahawks last season and many of the same issues remain as the season approaches. Russell Okung, Breno Giacomini and Max Unger combined to miss 18 games due to injury and the line struggled in their absence.

Giacomini is now gone to the New York Jets and Okung didn’t participate in offseason workouts while recovering from foot surgery. Former first-round pick James Carpenter has slimmed down and in the best shape of his professional career, but has mainly been a disappointment up to this point. Seattle also needs to find a starter at right tackle between Michael Bowie and second-round pick Justin Britt.

While still ranking as the best defense in the league last year, the Seahawks did struggle every once in a while against the run. St. Louis and Tampa Bay rushed for 200 yards against Seattle in consecutive weeks. With Red Bryant released for cap reasons, one of the stalwarts of Seattle’s rush defense is now gone.

Changes.

James Carpenter is slotted to take over full-time at left guard in place of the departed Paul McQuistan. The position had been a timeshare for most of last season. Breno Giacomini will also need to be replaced at right tackle.

The Seahawks had found a nice pass rush package late in the season that caused problems for opposing offenses. However, Chris Clemons and Clinton McDonald have departed and Seattle will need to find replacements. Benson Mayowa, Greg Scruggs, Jordan Hill, Kevin Williams and Jesse Williams should all be vying for time in passing situations.

Bryon Maxwell will take over the starting cornerback job opposite Richard Sherman after assuming the role last season following the suspension of Brandon Browner.

Camp battles.

Despite Pete Carroll’s “always compete” mantra, there aren’t many battles for starting jobs expected during training camp. Michael Bowie and Justin Britt will compete for the starting job at right tackle.

Beyond that, the wide receiver position should be fierce for roster spots and playing time. Percy Harvin participated in all offseason workouts and appears truly healthy for the first time since injuring his ankle in 2012 with the Minnesota Vikings. Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Paul Richardson and Sidney Rice will be among the group competing for the next spot in line behind Harvin.

The same applies for the defensive line rotation with a slew of players competing for playing time. Greg Scruggs, Jesse Williams, Jordan Hill and Benson Mayowa were “redshirted” for lack of a better term due to being buried in the depth or injury. Along with the redshirt class, draft picks Cassius Marsh and Jimmy Staten will also have a chance to factor in the rotation.

Seattle will also need to find a punt returner to replace Golden Tate.

Prospects.

The Seahawks roster remains supremely talented and young. They were the youngest team to ever win a Super Bowl last February and Seattle has done a very good job of preparing their roster to absorb the larger contracts given to their emerging superstars.

The defense remains a physically imposing unit. Marshawn Lynch is a battering ram at running back and Russell Wilson the calm, distributor that directs the offense.

There are few areas of concern from a roster standpoint for Seattle as training camp approaches. The biggest question may be if they can handle being the hunted as reigning champions.

I might note that a few others have given the Seahawks the No. 1 pre-season Power Ranking, but at least one (Bleacher Report) has not--ranking them 3rd, behind the 49ers (2nd) and Broncos (1st). It's pretty much guesswork at this point just before training camps open, but it helps fill in the days before anything of real importance happens! Seems to me that their lofty ranking may be due simply to the fact that they won the SB last season and have retained their core starters (as well as the fact that they're still a very young team). Still other teams may have improved more in the off-season because of the addition of free agents and higher draft picks. There are a lot of questions that have to be answered about the Seahawks going into 2014: Will they have the same fire and drive as last year now that they've won it all? Will their O-line be better with a slightly slimmed-down (although hardly svelte at 6-5, 321 lbs.) and now-healthy James Carpenter (1st-round pick in 2011) at LG and Michael Bowie and Justin Britt battling it out for the starting RT spot (the O-line was the one only-average unit on the Seahawks last season)? On defense, will they miss Red Bryant against the run and Chris Clemons against the pass, or has the addition of Kevin Williams, along with the possible emergence of some real talent that had been buried on their roster last season (Jesse Williams, Greg Scruggs, Jordan Hill) and the addition of 4th-round draft pick Cassius Marsh make them even stronger up front? Has the loss of Golden Tate been overcome with the addition of 2nd-round pick Paul Richardson and 4th-round pick Kevin Norwood, along with a healthy Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice?

Should be fun finding out!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

IMO, you never know with the Oline. It sounds like they may have good pieces to plug in but until the snaps are real...who knows. IOW, guys who look okay in the preseason may start showing warts come September.

The punt returner. IMO, this will work itself out via training camp. I just do not see this part of the NFL game comparing well to the CFL in terms of entertainment/strategy. So often the excitment about the punt is whether the punting team will be able to down the ball inside the five or if it bounces into the endzone. I realize the strategy of this is VERY IMPORTANT but not in the way it impacts the CFL game (conceded safeties etc....).

I sure hope to be celebrating another Seahawk win next February (or is it late January this year?). With that added bullseye as defending champs, methinks the Seahawks will be in tough most weeks. I sure hope CL field is the homebase it has been. Maybe they can get that extra win this year and go undefeated as IIRC, someone beat them (Rams or Cardinals) at home last year......
South Pender
Legend

Pro Football Talk's 2014 Preseason Power Rankings for All 32 NFL Teams:

Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 22, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

Here is how PFT ranks all 32 NFL clubs entering the 2014 season. A preseason analysis of each team can be found below. The rankings were determined by vote of the editorial staff:

1. Seattle Seahawks. (NFC rank: 1.)

2. San Francisco 49ers. (NFC rank: 2.)

3. Denver Broncos. (AFC rank: 1.)

4. New England Patriots. (AFC rank: 2.)

5. Green Bay Packers. (NFC rank: 3.)

6. New Orleans Saints. (NFC rank: 4.)

7. Baltimore Ravens. (AFC rank: 3.)

8. Indianapolis Colts. (AFC rank: 4.)

9. Cincinnati Bengals. (AFC rank: 5.)

10. Carolina Panthers. (NFC rank: 5.)

11. Arizona Cardinals. (NFC rank: 6.)

12. Chicago Bears. (NFC rank: 7.)

13. Philadelphia Eagles. (NFC rank: 8.)

14. Atlanta Falcons. (NFC rank: 9.)

15. Pittsburgh Steelers. (AFC rank: 6.)

16. San Diego Chargers. (AFC rank: 7.)

17. Kansas City Chiefs. (AFC rank: 8.)

18. New York Giants. (NFC rank: 10.)

19. New York Jets. (AFC rank: 9.)

20. St. Louis Rams. (NFC rank: 11.)

21. Detroit Lions. (NFC rank: 12.)

22. Cleveland Browns. (AFC rank: 10.)

23. Washington Redskins. (NFC rank: 13.)

24. Dallas Cowboys. (NFC rank: 14.)

25. Houston Texans. (AFC rank: 11.)

26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers. (NFC rank: 15.)

27. Minnesota Vikings. (NFC rank: 16.)

28. Buffalo Bills. (AFC rank: 12.)

29. Jacksonville Jaguars. (AFC rank: 13.)

30. Tennessee Titans. (AFC rank: 14.)

31. Miami Dolphins. (AFC rank: 15.)

32. Oakland Raiders. (AFC rank: 16.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -rankings/
South Pender
Legend

Here's Pro Football Talk's analysis of their 2nd-ranked NFL team, the 49ers:
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

The San Francisco 49ers have arguably been the best team in the NFL over the last three seasons with a Super Bowl appearance and two NFC Championship game appearances on their resume. But any trip to the postseason that doesn’t end with that final victory leaves a team ultimately unfulfilled.

Despite some changes to the roster and some off-field incidents this offseason, the 49ers are once again primed to push for a sixth Super Bowl title this season.

San Francisco should be more dynamic offensively with a healthy Michael Crabtree and the addition of Steve Johnson to provide targets for Colin Kaepernick. However, the 49ers may have lost a little strength on the defensive side of the ball. NaVorro Bowman could miss a significant portion of the season while returning from injury and Aldon Smith could be suspended for transgressions off the field. In addition, all four members of the 49ers starting secondary in Super Bowl XLVII have now moved on with some question marks remaining.

Strengths.

The 49ers running game should continue to be among the most explosive in the league. Frank Gore and Colin Kaepernick are a daunting threats to carry the ball. In addition, Kendall Hunter, Carlos Hyde and possibly even Marcus Lattimore provide capable depth for an aging (but somehow still not diminishing) Frank Gore. San Francisco will need to hope Daniel Kilgore can be an adequate replacement at center for the departed Jonathan Goodwin.

When healthy and able to play, the 49ers linebackers remain as strong as any unit in football. Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith are dynamic threats at outside linebacker with NaVorro Bowman and Patrick Willis as two of the best inside linebackers in the game. However, Bowman could miss several games while recovering from a knee injury in the NFC Championship game and Smith’s off-field issues could likely lead to a suspension this fall.

Weaknesses.

San Francisco is noticeably weaker at cornerback than they were during their run to the NFC title in 2012. Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown are now gone, leaving Tramaine Brock and Chris Culliver as the penciled starters with journeymen Perrish Cox and Chris Cook as depth options. Brock has proven to be a solid player. However, Culliver could ultimately be suspended as well for a felony charge of possession of brass knuckles stemming from a hit-and-run arrest this offseason.

Colin Kaepernick’s play against the division rival Seattle Seahawks is also an area of concern. In four career starts against Seattle, Kaepernick has struggled mightily in the passing game. He’s completed just 52 percent of his passes for an average of 175 yards per game with three touchdowns and seven interceptions. Against all other opponents, Kaepernick has thrown 34 touchdowns to just nine interceptions. San Francisco is just 1-3 in those games and has been outscored by a margin of 111-52. Considering the road to the top of the division likely goes through Seattle, this an area that the 49ers have to hope Kaepernick can improve in.

Changes.

Daniel Kilgore is penciled in to replace Jonathan Goodwin as the starting center for the 49ers. It’s the first shake up to an offensive line that has been among the league’s elite units over the past few seasons.

Antoine Bethea was signed to replace the departed Donte Whitner at strong safety.

Meanwhile, the addition of Steve Johnson and the return of Brandon Lloyd to the 49ers could stabilize a receiving corps that was underwhelming last season.

Camp battles.

While Kilgore may have the jump-start, rookie Marcus Martin could also challenge for the starting center job once he comes off the non-football injury list.

The 49ers will need to find an interim replacement for NaVorro Bowman at inside linebacker. Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody and rookies Chris Borland and Shayne Skov will likely be called upon to challenge for the job.

Prospects.

The San Francisco 49ers are one of the best teams in the NFL. The problem for San Francisco right now is that until they can prove otherwise, the Seahawks are better.

The injury to Bowman and potential suspension of Smith, along with the changes in the secondary could cause some initial struggles defensively for the 49ers as well. However, the 49ers are still plenty talented enough to compete for the divisional title in the NFC West.

Another year of experience from Colin Kaepernick and improved quality at the receiver position should make the passing game more efficient this season. With a rock solid rushing attack, the 49ers offense could be the best it has been with Kaepernick under center.

The Seahawks and 49ers don’t meet until Thanksgiving night in Santa Clara before playing twice in three weeks. Those two meetings will likely go a long way toward determining the champion of a loaded NFC West and a favorite in the NFC to reach the Super Bowl.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Its a neat rivalry, at this time. 49ers have been right there in the playoffs, as have the Seahawks. Hard to imagine this was a division that the Seahawks WON with a 7-9 record in the recent past. Now the chatter on NFL network is they figure 3 playoff teams probably come out of the NFC West. I guess the Rams would be the odd ones out......

I like the 49ers except when they play the Seahawks. Looking forward to seeing how they play at their new palace........
South Pender
Legend

Here is Pro Football Talk's report on their 3rd-ranked NFL team, the Broncos. PFT sees the Broncos as falling slightly below the Seahawks and 49ers, but at the top in the AFC. The Patriots might have a differing opinion about that....

Preseason power rankings No. 3: Denver Broncos
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Can Peyton Manning win another Super Bowl?

That is the question people ask when they talk about these Denver Broncos. John Elway, John Fox and the rest of the decision makers in Denver answer that question with an emphatic yes, and they’ve made it clear that they’re putting all their chips on the table and trying to win a championship now: Not only have the Broncos given Manning a good corps of receivers, but the Broncos also invested heavily in veteran free agents on defense this offseason, most notably DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward. The plan in Denver is try to win another title while Manning is still on top, and worry about the potential consequences of having a lot of expensive aging veterans on the roster later. That’s a strategy that makes a lot of sense, but it’s also a strategy that has the potential to blow up in the Broncos’ faces, if Manning and some of the other veterans on the roster begin to show their age more quickly than the Broncos are expecting. Still, the Broncos enter this season looking like the best team in the AFC.

Strengths.

Obviously, it begins with Peyton Manning, the reigning MVP of the NFL, who’s coming off perhaps the greatest season any NFL player has ever had. As long as Manning is healthy, the Broncos will have a great passing offense. But it goes beyond Manning. If left tackle Ryan Clady is back to form and healthy for 16 games, the offensive line should be better than it was last year, when Clady was lost for the season in Week Two. And the receiving corps, featuring Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker along with new arrivals Emmanuel Sanders and second-round draft pick Cody Latimer, could be better too. And don’t forget that tight end Julius Thomas, who burst onto the scene last year, is still relatively inexperienced and may keep getting better this year. The Broncos’ run defense was solid last year (stopping Seattle’s running backs was about the only thing the Broncos did well in the Super Bowl), and it could be better this year as well. The Broncos liked the way 2013 first-round draft pick Sylvester Williams played late last year at defensive tackle, and this year there’s every reason to expect a strong second season.

Weaknesses.

Last year the Broncos’ most significant weakness was their pass defense, which is why the pass defense was the top priority in free agency. Can DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward turn that pass defense into a strength? If so, the 2014 Broncos may be even better than the 2013 Broncos. If not, they’re going to need the offense to win a lot of shootouts. The wild card is the return of Von Miller, who was suspended for the first six games of last season and then missed the playoffs with a torn ACL. If Miller is healthy for 16 games and as good a pass rusher as he was in 2012, then maybe we’ll need to list the Broncos’ pass defense under “strengths.” Middle linebacker Nate Irving could turn out to be a weakness in the Broncos’ defense if he can’t prove he’s ready to handle the starting job on a full-time basis. Wesley Woodyard departed in free agency, and Denver needs Irving to be ready to handle the responsibilities that Woodyard handled last year. Special teams may turn out to be a weakness for the Broncos as well. Last year they struggled covering kicks (although that was partially masked by the fact that it’s easy to boot the ball into the end zone for a touchback in Denver), and the Broncos still have no idea who will return punts and kickoffs for them.

Changes.

Champ Bailey has meant a lot to this franchise for the last 10 seasons, and it will look a little strange to watch the Broncos’ defense and not see Bailey. But adding both veteran Aqib Talib and rookie Bradley Roby should change the cornerback position for the better. Eric Decker is also a significant loss at wide receiver, but that may again be a position where the net result of the changes is an improvement. Emmanuel Sanders is an accomplished veteran, and Cody Latimer is a talented rookie. Denver’s front office did a good job of compensating for the departure of Decker.

Position battles.

The No. 1 cornerback is Aqib Talib, but after that there’s plenty of competition at the cornerback position. First-round draft pick Bradley Roby has a good shot at being the No. 2 cornerback, but if Chris Harris is completely healthy (he said in June that he’s 85 percent recovered from a torn ACL), then Harris may beat out Roby to start opposite Talib. Kayvon Webster, a 2013 third-round pick, is also in the mix and will compete to be the Broncos’ nickel corner. Another interesting competition will take place at right tackle, where Chris Clark currently looks like the favorite. Clark stepped in for injured left tackle Ryan Clady last year and performed well enough that it would seem likely that Clark will remain a starter now that Clady is back on the left side. However, veteran Winston Justice will get a shot at beating out Clark in training camp, and so will rookie third-round pick Michael Schofield.

The backup running back position behind starter Montee Ball appears to be Ronnie Hillman’s to lose, but it wouldn’t be a shock if Hillman does, in fact, lose that battle. C.J. Anderson looked good in limited work last year, and the Broncos really like a couple of undrafted rookies, Juwan Thompson and Brennan Clay. Ultimately, the second-string running back in Denver will probably the running back who proves himself the best pass protector in training camp and the preseason, as protecting Peyton Manning is the most important priority in Denver’s offense. The most interesting camp competition of all may be for the return job, where the departure of Trindon Holliday in free agency leaves things wide open. On punt returns, Wes Welker is the most experienced man for the job, but given Welker’s age and concerns about whether he’ll stay healthy for 16 games, it seems unlikely that Welker will be the regular punt returner this season. Instead, the Broncos will likely give a number of young and athletic players a shot at earning a roster spot by returning punts. Isaiah Burse, an undrafted free agent receiver, was a good return man at Fresno State and may be the best bet to end up winning the punt return job. Burse can also return kickoffs, and he’ll likely compete with veterans Andre Caldwell and Omar Bolden for that job.

Prospects.

The bottom line for the Broncos? First of all, they still look like the best team in the AFC. And secondly, no one in Denver will be satisfied with just being the best team in the AFC.
It’s a “Super Bowl or bust” year for the Broncos, and that means winning the Super Bowl, not just getting there. If the offense is as good as last year and the defense is better, the Broncos have a real chance of hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy. But with the Super Bowl debacle fresh in our minds, it’s hard to argue that the Broncos are the best team in the NFL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear about Sidney Rice's decision to retire (at age 27). I was hoping he'd make a full recovery from knee surgery and reproduce his fabulous 2009 season (when he was with the Vikings and catching passes from Brett Favre) with the Seahawks this season. I saw him as a potential No. 1 receiver with the 'Hawks, but it wasn't to be. I think he made the right decision from the point of view of his future health, as he has had concussions as well as the knee injury. Evidently he has made provident business choices and is well set up for the next chapter in his life.

This would seem to elevate Percy Harvin to No. 1 receiver status, with Doug Baldwin in the mix. The Seahawks have stockpiled a number of potentially promising WRs, and there was even some question about whether Rice would make the team this season. Still, he represented a big, tall receiver, something that the Seahawks haven't had an abundance of, and this may enhance the chances of Chris Matthews (at 6-5, 230 lbs., and formerly with the Bombers) making the team. Fourth-round draft pick Kevin Norwood is big too at 6-2, 200, so his chances may have gone up as well.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

An NFL network journalist (Robinson) claims Marshawn Lynch has phoned him to state 'I'm sitting out'.

IOW, Lynch feels he deserves a little more scratch due to the success the team has had. OOh, I guess I phrased that wrong. The Seahawks should pay Lynch more scratch due to the success the the team has had due to Lynch---thats better.

I can kinda see where he's coming from but come on. Get this settled months ago if it really matters (maybe he tried?). Is this just a ploy to get to sit out training camp? I know those are not much fun as you get older and your spot is pretty much guaranteed. I've been hearing rumours about this all off-season. Kinda weird how the guy who won't do media is willing to reach out to said media when it comes to negotiating in the public realm....
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:An NFL network journalist (Robinson) claims Marshawn Lynch has phoned him to state 'I'm sitting out'.

IOW, Lynch feels he deserves a little more scratch due to the success the team has had. OOh, I guess I phrased that wrong. The Seahawks should pay Lynch more scratch due to the success the the team has had due to Lynch---thats better.

I can kinda see where he's coming from but come on. Get this settled months ago if it really matters (maybe he tried?). Is this just a ploy to get to sit out training camp? I know those are not much fun as you get older and your spot is pretty much guaranteed. I've been hearing rumours about this all off-season. Kinda weird how the guy who won't do media is willing to reach out to said media when it comes to negotiating in the public realm....
That's interesting, nota. There was the same thing when the mandatory mini-camp was held about a month ago. Lynch actually showed up at the minicamp (after many reporters were saying he wouldn't), but didn't take part in any of the physical stuff. Pete Carroll said that he was saving Lynch's body for the season to come and the tremendous beating an every-down back takes over the course of the season. No new contract was offered nor any more money added to his existing contract. So, I guess we'll see. I find this kind of behavior pretty shoddy and lacking in character. You agree to a contract, get paid millions, and then try to wiggle out of the terms for more money; to me, it sucks (and says a lot about the personal standards of the complainer). One factor that may have played a part in this is Sidney Rice's retirement and the $1M, or whatever, that his retirement freed up. And the new $8.3M contract that Jamaal Charles got didn't help. But still, Lynch; show some class and be content with your $5M for the season. To tell you the truth, I hope the Seahawks wait him out and fine the hell out of him (as well as take back some of his $6M signing bonus). Even if it weakens the team's offense a little. Make this guy respect his contract. They do have two very fine running backs in Robert Turbin and, particularly, Christine Michael waiting in the wings.

Edit: Re Lynch, I just saw this on Pro Football Talk:

Seahawks don’t seem to be inclined to give Lynch a raise
Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT

It was quite the coincidence, or perhaps not a coincidence at all, that Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch called former teammate Michael Robinson while Robinson was spending several hours on the air at NFL Network and told Robinson that Lynch plans to hold out.

Lynch has been making noise for weeks about wanting a new deal, but he has yet to take concrete action toward that end. He showed up for a mandatory minicamp amid reports he wouldn’t. Now, Lynch potentially is throwing a Hail Mary pass in the hopes the Seahawks will blink.

It would be a surprise if they do. As the Seahawks see it, Lynch has completed half of a four-year, $30 million contract. He has two years left, and by the time those two years have expired, if not sooner, the team may begin to devote a sizable chunk of Lynch’s touches to Christine Michael or Robert Turbin.

Lynch knows that, given his age (28) and the hits he has absorbed, now is the time to get one last payday. By next year or the year after, he’ll be at best among the smattering of veterans fetching $3.5 million annually, at best, on the open market.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Some rumours that Lynch's complaint is not about MORE money, he just wants it sooner :dizzy: IOW, the structure. So, pay me the money now and then I can retire or demand a new deal then. Getting more money NOW is asking for MORE MONEY, IMO, as the two sides had a deal and now he wants to change it.

I don't know how it gets fixed. I can kinda see the players side in this. You sign a longer deal and suddenly increase your stats/value to the team, do they come and say "you know what we are paying you under market value, here is a raise". Russell Wilson is a purrfect example. He is worth WAY more, performance wise, than what he is getting paid, IMO. However, he will be getting to 'cash in' in the near future. I guess that is why insurance is such a big part of things. Everybody knows you are due for a HUGE payday in a year/two but you suffer a career ending injury. Life 101 but still not fair. I think Lynch realizes what leverage he has he's got to use now. At absolute WORSE, he gets to miss what most vetrans hate, training camp. And maybe he gets that extra dough too.
South Pender
Legend

Finally...the NFL season has arrived! Pretty well all training camps have opened by today. (The Giants and Bills started early because they play one more pre-season game--the Hall of Fame game on Aug. 3.)

Here's a report from the Seahawks TC:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 62862e9bfa

And here's another report containing a picture of what must be one of the most fabulous training facilities in all of sport--the 6 year-old Virginia Mason Athletic Center, right on the shores of Lake Washington.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 29b0329cf1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this just in on the Lynch holdout:

Schneider confirms Lynch holdout, team’s lack of interest in giving him new deal

Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT

Earlier today, the Seahawks announced that they had reached the 90-man roster limit. Before too long, they’ll go back to 89 by placing running back Marshawn Lynch on the reserve/did not report list.

In an interview with ESPN 710 in Seattle, Seahawks G.M. John Schneider said, via Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times, that Marshawn has “made a decision not to be here.” Schneider’s comments also indicated that the team has made a decision not to do anything about it.

“There is a specific plan in place here and it’s my responsibility to [owner Paul Allen] and the fans to try to provide a consistent championship-caliber football team, one that the fans feel we have a shot every year,” Schneider said.

“[J]ust two years ago Marshawn was one of our first guys we were able to reward in terms of this plan going forward,” Schneider said, referring to Lynch’s four-year, $30 million contract.

So if Lynch doesn’t show, the Seahawks will rely on the next man up. Schneider pointed out that coach Pete Carroll and his staff “do a good job of teaching young players and getting them ready to play.”

Does that mean Christine Michael and/or Robert Turbin can get it done if Lynch doesn’t show?

“I think it’s a fair question,” Schneider said. “But I think obviously Marshawn Lynch is a heck of a running back, you know what I mean? But it’s just like we had players at different positions, like last year we ran into the deal with [cornerbacks] Brandon Browner and [Byron] Maxwell steps up and has to go. . . . I think that the players and teammates think that they are comfortable with the next player. And that’s no disrespect to Marshawn — everybody knows what he can do.”

Soon, we all may find out what Turbin and Michael can do.

I hope the team stands firm.
South Pender
Legend

Continuing with our pre-season look at the NFL teams, here's Pro Football Talk's analysis of their 4th-ranked team--the New England Patriots--in their pre-season power-rankings (this report by Josh Alper):

Preseason Power Rankings No. 4: New England Patriots
Posted by Josh Alper on July 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

The Patriots were back in the AFC Championship Game last year, but their bid for another Super Bowl title were dashed by the Broncos.

Making it there was a credit to coach Bill Belichick’s adaptability as he had to fill holes created by injuries while finding a way to keep the offense moving in spite of an underwhelming season by Tom Brady’s wide receivers. That stopped against Denver, but the Patriots made it clear they have designs on staying on top in the AFC East.

They signed cornerbacks Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner in hopes of stopping the revolving door at that position, with the Revis acquisition and a growing group of talent in the front seven leading to thoughts of the best Patriots defense in several years.

There were no such additions to the offense, but the hope is that the return to health of tight end Rob Gronkowski serves the same purpose.

Strengths.

When Gronkowski was healthy last season, the Patriots had one of the most potent offenses in the league. When he was out, they weren’t close to the same level as a team and Brady wasn’t as effective as a quarterback. Whether Gronk can stay healthy for an entire year is a matter of some debate, but his impact on the team is certain.

The Patriots had a pretty good defense last season without Revis. Adding one of the best cornerbacks in the game as he looks to restore some luster after a forgettable year in Tampa has the potential to move the defense from pretty good to great in a shift that the Pats would love to see.

Revis won’t be doing it alone, though. Linebacker Jerod Mayo was lost after the sixth week of the season because of a torn pectoral muscle and defensive tackle Vince Wilfork’s torn Achilles made him a bystander as well. Getting both back to go with Jamie Collins, Donta’ Hightower, Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich would make for one of the best front sevens in the conference.

The permanent move to safety was a good one for Devin McCourty, who turned in an excellent year in 2013. With better cornerback play expected, McCourty could be deployed in a more aggressive manner this time around.

Weaknesses.

Julian Edelman caught a lot of passes, but the rest of the wide receivers left something to be desired last season. The Patriots need Danny Amendola to remain on the field and they’d like to see the potential of Aaron Dobson, Kenbrell Thompkins or Josh Boyce translated into actual production. Without those developments, the Patriots will be relying heavily on Gronkowski remaining healthy once again this year.

Brady was sacked 40 times last year, the second-most of his career, and that number will need to come down this season. Center and right guard are the spots most in need of improvement as Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly were weak links last year.

LeGarrette Blount wasn’t re-signed as a free agent, leaving the Patriots without their battering ram in the backfield from last year. Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen are on hand, so there’s no reason to panic although the team’s versatility took a little bit of a hit with Blount’s departure.

If everyone is healthy, the defensive line should be pretty good. Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Will Smith and first-round pick Dominique Easley are all returning from serious injuries, though, and the depth isn’t strong enough to keep pressure on opposing quarterbacks if they aren’t in the game.

Changes.

We’ll get to the changes that have been made in a second, right after we discuss the changes that the Patriots hope will take place. After losing Gronkowski, Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly and Sebastian Vollmer to season-ending injuries last year, the Patriots will be hoping that simply being healthier will allow them to push their way back to the top of the conference.

The Pats added three offensive linemen in the draft — center Bryan Stork, tackle Cameron Fleming and guard Jon Halapio — to restock with some young depth up front.

Browner will serve a suspension to start the year, so it will be some time before he and Revis can be deployed as a tandem. Logan Ryan, Kyle Arrington and Alfonzo Dennard will be on hand to fill in and then fill out the sub packages.

Brandon LaFell was signed as a free agent after playing out his contract with the Panthers. There’s probably more upside with the younger receivers, but the Pats will take any help they can get at the position after last season.

Camp Battles.

Steve Gregory is gone, leaving an opening at safety next to McCourty. Patrick Chung is back after a spell with the Eagles and he’ll join Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson, Kanorris Davis and rookie Jemea Thomas at the position. Harmon looks like the first choice heading into camp.

The Patriots drafted running back James White in the fourth round and he’ll likely vie with Brandon Bolden for backfield snaps left up for graps after Blount’s departure. Given the fluid nature of running back situations, he could wind up with even more than that if things break right.

New England selected quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round, setting up a competition with Ryan Mallett for backup duties and the role as unofficial heir to Brady.

Prospects.

The Patriots have advanced at least as far as the conference title game in each of the last three seasons. When you survey the AFC at this point, another trip to that round feels like the expectation once again in New England.

We can’t know which Patriots might be injured this season or which teams might come together to form a whole better than anyone is predicting in July, but, outside of Denver, there aren’t any teams in the conference that are safe bets to be better than the Patriots. And there certainly aren’t any in the AFC East, where the question again appears to be how many weeks it will take for the Pats to sew up the crown.

Getting beyond the conference title game and earning another Lombardi Trophy is a different matter, however. They’ll need better health than last season, development from a young receiver or two and no noticeable slippage from key veterans to add a fourth ring for the Belichick era.

There’s a lot that needs to break right, but the Patriots are in position to capitalize if things do go that way.
South Pender
Legend

A little more on the Marshawn Lynch holdout in Seattle. It seems that Schneider/Carroll have brought in three (yep, 3) new running backs to camp. Meanwhile, Lynch has got his friends to float the idea that he may retire. In my view, it's all just crap--and annoying crap at that. Schneider/Carroll bring in three second-raters who won't see a regular-season game and talk up Christine Michael's wonderful off-season progress, along with talk of going to a RB-by-committee approach, while Lynch gets his buddies to talk up his potential retirement--all the while spouting the usual guff about having to "look after his family" (while running up $30K/day in fines). Lord, I wish they'd not go through this charade every year. Lynch won't retire and leave $10M (over the next two years) on the table, and not one of the stiffs the 'Hawks brought in will see the light of a real game. And the 49ers will have the same crap to deal with in connection with Alex Boone (Vernon Davis actually showed up for camp after declaring he wouldn't).