2013 NHL thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:7 games is a joke IMO

Too much? Not enough? Just right?

IMO, it all comes down to reputation and Cooke has a bad one. If I have to cast a vote, I'd say its not enough just in the hopes it may deter others (but it will not).......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450237

So Cooke is gone for seven games and should the Wild get knocked out before he can serve seven games it WILL carry over into the regular season.

I got an idea (its kinda dumb but who knows....). Instead of having the suspension carry over until the regular season... WHY NOT HAVE IT CARRY OVER UNTIL NEXT PLAYOFFS? Will the goonery be impacted if a guy like Cooke ends up having to sit out a balance of a suspension NEXT PLAYOFFS? Admitedly his team may not make the playoffs but who knows. If it just comes down to dollars, I wonder if having the suspension carry over to the regular season may end up costing him a lot of money? I'm not sure but most pro sports pay all the players the same for the playoffs so if Cooke is sitting for three or four or more regular season games, they maybe impacting his wallet a lot more than missing playoff games will....
I suspect there's language in the CBA precluding stuff like this and the NHLPA would be unlikely to go along with something so extreme any time it comes up for renegotiation.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:7 games is a joke IMO

Too much? Not enough? Just right?

IMO, it all comes down to reputation and Cooke has a bad one. If I have to cast a vote, I'd say its not enough just in the hopes it may deter others (but it will not).......
Not enough in my opinion. I agree with you that he has a bad reputation. He's been suspended 34 games in his career and he's still not getting the message.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Not enough in my opinion. I agree with you that he has a bad reputation. He's been suspended 34 games in his career and he's still not getting the message.
I'm not sure why or IF he's getting the message. When a player does something that causes the long term health of another player to be put in jeopardy... you gotta wonder.

I know its rehashing and whining about the past BUT, I'm still baffled (and always will be) as to the so-called, IMO, late hit by Aaron Rome on Nathan Horton of the Bruins. There were liberties taken by Canucks and Bruins in that series that 'maybe' deserved league suspensions but that was not high on the list of the ones I thought deserved discipline. Oh well, it would be a pretty BORING world if we all agreed and all saw things the same way.......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Facing elimination the Los Angeles Kings finally showed up tonight. The Sharks still lead the series 3-1
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jonathan Toew's breakaway goal in overtime gave Chicago a 4-3 win and a 3-2 series lead. Last year St. Louis had a 2-0 series lead only to see Los Angeles win 4 straight. History might be repeating itself again this year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Boston eliminated Detroit this afternoon and will meet the Montreal Canadiens next. No love lost between the two teams.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Boston eliminated Detroit this afternoon and will meet the Montreal Canadiens next. No love lost between the two teams.
go montreal

pulease
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Boston eliminated Detroit this afternoon and will meet the Montreal Canadiens next. No love lost between the two teams.
go montreal

pulease
X2 Should be a great series. Canadiens won 3 of 4 from the Bruins during the regular season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
go montreal

pulease
X2 Should be a great series. Canadiens won 3 of 4 from the Bruins during the regular season.

Me too, Me too!!! Not following by watching but will be cheering on the Canadiens regardless. Can't believe I'm saying that but definately my team thats left in the playoffs.....

My nightmare matchup? Blackhawks versus Bruins. Hate them both and I would still refure to watch due to the goonery of this years playoffs. Don't want to see guys get hurt perhaps forever, but even teams I may hate.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What a game between Dallas and Anaheim. Dallas had a 2 goal lead heading into the final period. Anaheim scores twice with a little over 2 minutes left in the game to tie. In overtime Dallas hits the goal post. A minute later, Anaheim scores the winner.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:What a game between Dallas and Anaheim. Dallas had a 2 goal lead heading into the final period. Anaheim scores twice with a little over 2 minutes left in the game to tie. In overtime Dallas hits the goal post. A minute later, Anaheim scores the winner.

My memory must be off. Your little blurb there is what fans should be excited about and talking about NHL playoff hockey but what gets covered in the news and chatted about around the water coolers is the concussion shot elbows to the head, the spearing in the groin and crosschecks in the back.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pittsburgh advances to the 2nd round by beating Columbus 4-3. They had a 4-0 lead heading into the 3rd period but managed to hang on as Columbus mounted a furious comeback but felled short. Penguins now face the winner of the Rangers and Flyers.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Los Angeles extend their series with San Jose to a 7th and deciding game. Can't believe the Sharks was leading the series 3-0 and now it comes down to winner takes all.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Anybody else have a problem with the Kings go ahead goal.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.