2013 NHL thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Seabrook took out Backes with a visous headshot, IMO. Backes was staggering while he tried to get back into the scrum. Thankfully Seabrook got tossed and given 5 minutes for charging. I didn't bother to watch the OT but the Blues won. I can't watch playoff hockey. I hate all the slashing, hacking, cross-checking etc... Jungle style hockey? I guess its what the players, NHL and the fans want but for me...no thanks. :thdn:
Yeah.

The fans want it. The owners deliver what the fans want. Slash. Crash. Hit 'em into the boards. Fight. Stick. "Slap Shot" stuff.

The only thing that will bring change is already in the works. Concussions. And it probably won't be human decency that stops violence in hockey. It will be lawsuits. They are coming. They are here. And about to get much bigger.

Players want to play. They are willing to pay the price. But, especially after they die, as with Bob Probert, their families want restitution. And IMO, they deserve it.

Owners get richer. Star players make great money. Fighters get brain damage. Their choice? Yes. But they make the choice for the money, and the lifestyle, and for their families. A kind of economic slavery, or escape from impoverishment. Guys will do it. Agree or not, but the concussion victims and their families will have their day.

I prefer international hockey, including the Olympics, at this time. No fighting. Less violence. More of an emphasis on skill. Unpatriotic? Not the Canadian way? LOL Times change. I can read the writing on the wall.

I think the Hawks and the Bruins beating us to a pulp was pretty much the final straw for me.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The NHL is probably the only pro league that seems to have two sets of rules, one for the regular season and one for the playoffs.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ....I prefer international hockey, including the Olympics, at this time. No fighting. Less violence. More of an emphasis on skill. Unpatriotic? Not the Canadian way? LOL Times change. I can read the writing on the wall.

I think the Hawks and the Bruins beating us to a pulp was pretty much the final straw for me.

Just IMO ...
I prefer the Olympic hockey too and/or international. NHL players are taking their stick and slashing opposing teams players but the debate afterwards is that it was a 'soft call'. Sorry, IMO, a slash, is a slash, is a slash. Even the call (last season IIRC) against a Canuck on Thorton. Got slashed in his right hand but takes his left glove off and shakes it like he'd been hacked. IMO, both players deserved a penalty, the Canuck for slashing, Thorton for acting (unsportsmanlike play).

The two plays that have me sick this year? Obviously the head shot on Backes that has earned Seabrook three games in the pressbox for sure. But another player I get less and less respect for is a player I wish the Canucks had drafted: Milan Lucic. Babbles about guys not being men and being chickensh*ts etc... and I think he should know because he fills the checklists on both counts, IMO. Speared a guy in the groin the other day. His wallet will be $5000 lighter but so what? Lucic just didn't seem to be that kinda player in junior. I admire some of the work he's done but at times he seems almost Marchand-like in his play.

I'm going to back up my babble. I've watched my last NHL playoff game this season. I DO NOT care who wins.

As for Lionkings comment regarding two sets of rules..... I don't disagree, it seemed like that even during the seasons I LOVED HOCKEY AS MUCH, if not MORE than the CFL. I would argue that not only are there different rules but also different games being played. I find playoff hockey much more entertaining. There are TOO MANY GAMES in MLB, NBA and NHL, IMO. EVERY pro-sports league has a great playoff system, IMO. I realize part of it is the playoffs are the ones that matter but these leagues have 'regular seasons' that go on for so long that IMO, the quality suffers. Just my :2cents:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The old Matt Cooke is back. Knee on knee on Tyson Barrie. Barrie will be out of the Colorado lineup from 3-6 weeks. I hope Cooke is suspended for the rest of the playoff for the blatant cheap shot.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The old Matt Cooke is back. Knee on knee on Tyson Barrie. Barrie will be out of the Colorado lineup from 3-6 weeks. I hope Cooke is suspended for the rest of the playoff for the blatant cheap shot.
Yuck! Loved Cooke as a Canuck but even then thought some of his hits were borderline........
______________________________________________________________________________________-

Glad I'm not the only one who has lost a lot of respect for Lucic....

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p ... 04691.html

Leave the cheap stuff to Marchand, Lucic.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html
NHL's war of attrition now in season

By Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun columnistApril 21, 2014

VANCOUVER - ‘Tis the season, once more, to celebrate the things humans will do to one another, and to themselves, in order to climb over their opponents’ cold, dead corpses to the next round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Or if not corpses, exactly, then their brains. Or their testicles. Whatever seems to be getting in the way.

The circumstances vary, heroes and villains trade places from scene to scene -- Raffi Torres, thug to scoring star; Brent Seabrook, victim to perpetrator -- but the overriding theme rarely strays from the post-season motto: i.e., win the war of attrition, win the Cup.

Take the most graphic example to date. Not Boston Bruin forward Milan Lucic’s lift-and-separate pitchfork of Detroit defenceman Danny DeKeyser’s eggs, although that cowardly attack from behind was fairly ... uncomfortable to watch, for those who have ever had the chain-slip, bicycle-crossbar accident.

No, the most graphic was Chicago defenceman Brent Seabrook’s launch with his shoulder pad into the head of St. Louis captain David Backes, who didn’t see him coming and didn’t see much of anything for a few moments after that. (And won’t be seeing any action for a good while unless the Blues have lost their moral compass, or their copy of the NHL’s concussion protocol.) Adding to the general outrage, even after the National Hockey League slapped Seabrook with a possibly over-lenient three-game suspension, was audio of the hit’s aftermath, in which Seabrook’s defence partner Duncan Keith (or someone who sounds a lot like him) is saying “Wakey-wakey, Backes!” This, while the Blues’ leader is out on his feet, little birds circling his head, x’s where his eyes should be, his body only semi-upright because his heart is still going even after his brain has mostly quit, and because a Blues’ trainer has a hold of him.

Somewhere in the fog, Backes’s hockey instinct is telling him to fight whoever did this to him, but in his addled condition wrongly thinks it’s Jonathan Toews. And so Toews probably calls him a few choice names, and the Blackhawk captain, the good Winnipeg boy who two months ago was the toast of all Canada for his peerless play and sterling character while leading the Olympic team to glory in Sochi, is inevitably Suspect No. 2 in the search for whoever was chirping a concussed opponent.

“I didn't say anything really… I don't know what he was feeling or going through," Toews said at Monday morning’s skate prior to Game 3 in Chicago. “I guess you can kind of imagine seeing what he was like against the boards there. He asked me to fight so that's the only reason I started talking to him.

"Maybe some things were said in the heat of the moment. Most of that stuff goes unheard from the fans and the media. So it's (hard) to not regret some of the things that might have been said.”

But let us consider the various miscreants and victims here.

First Seabrook, who has been hit in the head, famously, with the potential for untold cerebral damage down the road, at least twice in the past, by James Wisniewski and Raffi Torres. If anyone should know better than to deliver the kind of blow he laid on Backes, it is Seabrook.

But then, Backes. Who could resist, given half a chance? Every coach would love a player like him on his team -- and most every fan -- but the Blues forward is, let’s face it, a ruthless, uncompromising bulldozer in his own right, always playing right on the edge of mayhem, more than occasionally stepping over it. Live by the sword ....

Two months after gaining extensive worldwide attention for his stray pooch-rescuing efforts in Sochi, at least until the U.S. team went down like dogs (unlovable ones) in a 5-0 bronze-medal surrender to the Finns, Backes has long since spent all that currency, not that it ever cut any ice with NHL opposition. So he cannot be terribly surprised when a Chicago team that the Blues have been systematically trying to run through the boards in the series rises up on its hind legs and attempts to take its own pound of flesh.

But then, Keith. Like Toews, a stalwart in two straight Olympic gold medal efforts for Canada, a former Norris Trophy winner, what the heck is he thinking, taunting a semi-conscious opponent?

And not only that, but chopping and hacking and spearing and just generally behaving like an ass in Game 2? Not that he hasn’t done it before -- you may recall the cheaper-than-cheap head shot he took at Daniel Sedin in March of 2012 that netted a suspension -- but for someone not noted for dropping his mitts when challenged, Keith is apt to find himself in a very vulnerable spot without Seabrook around to watch his back as this series goes on.

“Lots of things get said out on the ice in the course of a hockey game, especially in playoffs. I'm an emotional guy. It's an emotional game. I don't remember everything that gets said out there,” Keith said Monday morning. In other words, he said it.

And for good measure, “Wakey Wakey Backes” is now immortalized in block capital letters on the front of a tee-shirt advertised for sale by Trending T-Shirts (Your Home for Offensive T-Shirts) on the internet. Red only, $17. No doubt, all proceeds will be going to concussion research.

But then, the Blues. Does anyone seriously think that it is exclusively the Blackhawks verbally hitting below the belt, when St. Louis has on its roster not only Backes, but unreformed chirpaholic Max Lapierre and the ever-irritating Steve Ott?

But then, the whole concussion issue. Not just Backes’s obvious distress in St. Louis, but the accidental kneepad to the back of Steven Stamkos’s head in Tampa’s Game 3 loss to Montreal, the Lightning star’s obvious disorientation as he was helped to the bench, his return to the ice, his stated intention to play Game 4.

Does anyone remember: didn’t the NHL, at the height of the concussion scare, put out a strict protocol to be followed by all teams? It rings a bell -- no pun intended -- vaguely. But it appears to have been a knee-jerk reaction to a crisis, more than an actual intention to have it adhered to by any team that can’t afford to have a star player out for a big game.

But then, all the other head-scratching, game-changing calls that went the Habs’ way, and against Tampa, in Game 3, with a referee from Gatineau, Que., appointed to officiate his first-ever playoff game ... in Montreal. Good p.r. sense there, NHL. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, from the league’s perspective, nothing. Minor flesh wounds, all serving to raise the temperature of the playoffs. The only bad publicity is no publicity. Keep up the good work, everybody.
Guys like Keith, Seabrook and Backes have good hockey survival skills. A lot of it is instinctive now. They can be decent guys off the ice. But on the ice they do things that are nasty. And all the illwill with the chirping. It just seems more and more ugly to me.

Cam Cole really rips some guys up in his column. I have not seen a reporter be so bold before in excoriating the violence in hockey. :thup:

A pox on the owners, on the Commissioner, and the players that make it a war out there, a war of attrition.

I think the Olympics and international hockey show that the nastiness is not a necessary part of the game. Oh? Some or most fans like it the way it is, like the violence. True. And thus it will stay as it is. At least until lawsuits for concussions bring about some change.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The team that ultimately hoist Lord Stanley's mug is the one with the most depth. Survivor of the fittest. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win in sports.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think the Olympics and international hockey show that the nastiness is not a necessary part of the game. Oh? Some or most fans like it the way it is, like the violence. True. And thus it will stay as it is. At least until lawsuits for concussions bring about some change.
I'm not sure that most fans like what they are seeing here. If they did, there wouldn't be this ongoing discussion of how much of a problem things have become. I know I don't. A tough hard nosed game is one thing but frankly seeing a guy carried out on a stretcher every two or three weeks does nothing to make we want to watch more. In my youth, Kenny Linsman was the biggest ahole on the ice and that was something considering he played for the flyers. Now it seems that there are at least a dozen that are way worse and repeat offenders. There has been a culture change in this game and it hasn't been for the better. Players were tough on the ice but they were also gentlemen. It seems that many don't really have a concept of what that means today. They certainly don't seem to respect their fellow players. If they did, you wouldn't see this onslaught of stick work, cheap shots and dangerous hits. I'd rather see the fighting than what we are seeing now and I don't especially like fights either.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
I'm not sure that most fans like what they are seeing here. If they did, there wouldn't be this ongoing discussion of how much of a problem things have become. I know I don't. A tough hard nosed game is one thing but frankly seeing a guy carried out on a stretcher every two or three weeks does nothing to make we want to watch more. In my youth, Kenny Linsman was the biggest ahole on the ice and that was something considering he played for the flyers. Now it seems that there are at least a dozen that are way worse and repeat offenders. There has been a culture change in this game and it hasn't been for the better. Players were tough on the ice but they were also gentlemen. It seems that many don't really have a concept of what that means today. They certainly don't seem to respect their fellow players. If they did, you wouldn't see this onslaught of stick work, cheap shots and dangerous hits. I'd rather see the fighting than what we are seeing now and I don't especially like fights either.
Can't disagree with a word you said and whats wrong with that..... :wink: Weird when Kenny the Rat Linsman seems like not too bad a guy but that is todays hockey, IMO. It must be whetting someones appetite (not MINE) because it seems to be continuing. IMO, until the NFL style concussion lawsuit happens.....it will continue.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal Canadiens are the first team to advance to the 2nd round. Max Pacioretty scored his 1st playoff goal with less than a minute left in the game for the win.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Montreal Canadiens are the first team to advance to the 2nd round. Max Pacioretty scored his 1st playoff goal with less than a minute left in the game for the win.
first time in 40 yrs of watching and following the NHL that I am actually cheering for the canadiens. Hope they are the easts answer to the bruins.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The Habs are on top of their game right now. Example of their complete dominance is that Tampa Bay had the lead for a total of three and a half minutes and that was in game 1
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Marc- Andre Fleury's playoff meltdown continues blowing a 3 goal lead to lose in overtime. The winning goal came on a wrist shot from inside the blueline through the 5 hole.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450237

So Cooke is gone for seven games and should the Wild get knocked out before he can serve seven games it WILL carry over into the regular season.

I got an idea (its kinda dumb but who knows....). Instead of having the suspension carry over until the regular season... WHY NOT HAVE IT CARRY OVER UNTIL NEXT PLAYOFFS? Will the goonery be impacted if a guy like Cooke ends up having to sit out a balance of a suspension NEXT PLAYOFFS? Admitedly his team may not make the playoffs but who knows. If it just comes down to dollars, I wonder if having the suspension carry over to the regular season may end up costing him a lot of money? I'm not sure but most pro sports pay all the players the same for the playoffs so if Cooke is sitting for three or four or more regular season games, they maybe impacting his wallet a lot more than missing playoff games will....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

7 games is a joke IMO