2013 NHL thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Florida Panthers won the NHL lottery pick. The team with the best odds of winning the lottery Buffalo will pick 2nd. Vancouver gets to pick 6th.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Florida Panthers won the NHL lottery pick. The team with the best odds of winning the lottery Buffalo will pick 2nd. Vancouver gets to pick 6th.
What I didn't know is that the HIGHEST the Canucks have ever picked is SECOND. IIRC, we lost the coin flip when it came between the Sabres/Canucks when we came into the league. Linden was one of our higher picks (second overall) as were the Sedins (second/third overall).

Linden said all the right things but really they just make sense. 'we are excited at the players who'll probably be there' 'we are open to offers that we feel will benefit us'-(when asked if he'd consider trading the pick up/down/away).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: Linden said all the right things but really they just make sense. 'we are excited at the players who'll probably be there' 'we are open to offers that we feel will benefit us'-(when asked if he'd consider trading the pick up/down/away).
You're going to hear the same line come draft day. Such as "we got the player we wanted. We had the player rated higher on our list and is surprised that he was available"
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dale Weise (ex Canuck) scored in overtime to give the Montreal Canadiens a 1-0 series lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning. Montreal completely dominated TB.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I don't get this 'bracketology' format the NHL has gone to this playoffs. Based on what I read, I believe it will go via a bracket style set up where its obvious which of two teams you'll play if you win your series. In past playoffs if by some miracle a #8 seed beat a #1, the #8 would then would have had to face the highest ranked team left in that conference. I guess I'd better give it a playoffs to see how it works out but as of this point right now...... :thdn:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great game underway between Chicago and St. Louis. Tied at 3 going to the 3rd overtime. St. Louis tied the game with over a minute left to send the game into overtime. Meanwhile the Sharks are leading the Kings 5-0 after 2 periods.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What ever happened to defensive hockey in the playoffs ? Seems like every game is high scoring end to end rushes. Coaches must be pulling their hairs out.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal takes a 2-0 series lead over Tampa Bay with a 4-1 victory. Tampa Bay came out storming in the 1st period but was unable to beat Carey Price. Habs was relentless in their forechecking.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Seabrook took out Backes with a visous headshot, IMO. Backes was staggering while he tried to get back into the scrum. Thankfully Seabrook got tossed and given 5 minutes for charging. I didn't bother to watch the OT but the Blues won. I can't watch playoff hockey. I hate all the slashing, hacking, cross-checking etc... Jungle style hockey? I guess its what the players, NHL and the fans want but for me...no thanks. :thdn:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lucic got a $5,000 fine for spearing. If the NHL is serious about cleaning up the game they need to suspend Lucic not give him a fine. Lucic makes $4.5 million a year.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chicago coach gets fined $25,000 for clutching his groin, but Lucic gets fined $5,000 for spearing. Where's the fairness ?

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Seabrook took out Backes with a visous headshot, IMO. Backes was staggering while he tried to get back into the scrum. Thankfully Seabrook got tossed and given 5 minutes for charging. I didn't bother to watch the OT but the Blues won. I can't watch playoff hockey. I hate all the slashing, hacking, cross-checking etc... Jungle style hockey? I guess its what the players, NHL and the fans want but for me...no thanks. :thdn:
Suspended by the league for 3 games
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
notahomer wrote:Seabrook took out Backes with a visous headshot, IMO. Backes was staggering while he tried to get back into the scrum. Thankfully Seabrook got tossed and given 5 minutes for charging. I didn't bother to watch the OT but the Blues won. I can't watch playoff hockey. I hate all the slashing, hacking, cross-checking etc... Jungle style hockey? I guess its what the players, NHL and the fans want but for me...no thanks. :thdn:
Suspended by the league for 3 games
Thanks for posting. I won't be at all surprised if Backes can't play due to concussion symptoms.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Montreal got off to a fast start scoring only 11 seconds into the game enroute to 3-2 win over Tampa Bay. They now lead the series 3-0.

Los Angeles scored the first 2 goals then surrendered the next 7 in a row losing to the San Jose Sharks. They trail the series 2-0 heading home.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Montreal got off to a fast start scoring only 11 seconds into the game enroute to 3-2 win over Tampa Bay. They now lead the series 3-0.

Los Angeles scored the first 2 goals then surrendered the next 7 in a row losing to the San Jose Sharks. They trail the series 2-0 heading home.
who needs nhl.com when we got you :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back